Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Received a Pro Tools HD 10 license bundle; isn't working correctly please help!

Computer: MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012
Processor: 2.9 GHz intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR 3
Software: OS X 10.8.2

DAW: Pro Tools HD 10.3.3
Interface: M-Audio Profire 2626
Interface Driver: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...b&OS=x119#tabs

I have my profire 2626 set as the playback engine and it is being recognized within PT.
My monitors are connected to the 2626 via line-out cables.

When I play a guitar through the line-in I am getting sound through my speakers using the m-audio digital mixer.
When I try to play through pro tools, no input signal is coming in nor out of the track.
I have put audio into a clean session and when I push play, nothing happens. The play button turns blue but then turns off.
When I set my playback engine to be the Macbook I get PT to play audio files and sound comes out so I'm thinking it's something with my 2626.
In the io settings I just hit "default settings" because I've had problems with this before in previous versions of pro tools but my 2626 is recognized and the io is how it's always been on previous versions of PT...

I'm extremely sorry for the lack of info, I guess I was hoping it would be a quick fix...Thank you so much for all of the responses and help, you guys are awesome!

- Will
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Received a Pro Tools HD 10 license bundle; isn't working correctly please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleymusic View Post

I have my profire 2626 set as the playback engine and it is being recognized within PT.

When I play a guitar through the line-in I am getting sound through my speakers using the m-audio digital mixer.
When I try to play through pro tools, no input signal is coming in nor out of the track.
I have put audio into a clean session and when I push play, nothing happens. The play button turns blue but then turns off.
When I set my playback engine to be the Macbook I get PT to play audio files and sound comes out so I'm thinking it's something with my 2626.
In the io settings I just hit "default settings" because I've had problems with this before in previous versions of pro tools but my 2626 is recognized and the io is how it's always been on previous versions of PT...

I'm extremely sorry for the lack of info, I guess I was hoping it would be a quick fix...Thank you so much for all of the responses and help, you guys are awesome!

- Will

P.S. The pro tools license I got seemed strange and I'm wondering if it's like a faulty license or something. One day out of the blue I received in my ilok account 3 "Pro Tools HD 10" bundle licenses which included Pro Tools HD 10, Pro Tools 10, Pro Tools 9 HD, and Pro Tools 9. I put one of them on my ilok just to see if it would work and it's letting me open up PT so I'm thinking they do! Just thought this was really strange/lucky so if you think it may be a licensing problem then that could be why! Thank you again!
This has nothing to do with the license, but if you did not purchase this licenses or qualify for it in an upgrade etc. then I would not be trying to use it, it was possible an mistake on Avid's part and you should let them know. The are not in the habit of giving away ~$2k work of Pro Tools licenses. And once they find out may come looking for that license.

Just to clarify, are you trying to use aggregate IO? What is the exact name of the playback engine device listed in the Pro Tools playback engine dialog?

Assuming you have a legitimate right to the license then follow the standard Pro Tools trouble shooting approach, described under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above. Basically make sure you..

Focus on getting things to play at all without Pro Tools and the play button not misbehaving.
Make sure you at least...

Try to power cycle the Mac and interface.
Hole down the N key when starting up Pro Tools, see if here are multiple playback engine options listed - exactly what one are you selecting?

Trash all the prefs and database files. Carefully follow the instructions for OS X Lion. Did that fix it?
Create a compelled new empty session and try again. Focus on just getting an existing imported/drag and dropped audio content (e.g. a know OK iTunes file) to play back. Did that work?

if not create a new admin account on OS X and repeat the above test by creating a new session there.

Darryl
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

- Will

P.S. The pro tools license I got seemed strange and I'm wondering if it's like a faulty license or something. One day out of the blue I received in my ilok account 3 "Pro Tools HD 10" bundle licenses which included Pro Tools HD 10, Pro Tools 10, Pro Tools 9 HD, and Pro Tools 9. I put one of them on my ilok just to see if it would work and it's letting me open up PT so I'm thinking they do! Just thought this was really strange/lucky so if you think it may be a licensing problem then that could be why! Thank you again!
If its on your iLok and in your account it should be a bonafide asset.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
If its on your iLok and in your account it should be a bonafide asset.
yes this immediate technical problem is not license related, but that does not make the license legitimate/valid.

It won't be the first time that Avid has accidentally deposited an iLok asset in the wrong account. Many of those seem to happen when purchasers provide the wrong iLok accountant info, that points to somebody else's iLok account. If the user has not recently purchased say HD hardware that qualifies for a Pro Tools 10 HD upgrade then I'd just contact Avid and let them know of their mistake. I'd expect them to eventually wake up and want the license back, even more so when they read about it here...

Darryl
Old 12-26-2012, 01:13 PM

If you hit play and the play button turns blue and nothing happens doesn't that mean that pro tools is not setup to be the master and is trying to run as a slave but can't because it doesn't have any signal to slave to in the OP setup?

I think that is the problem, at least with pro tools not playing in the situation you described.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
If you hit play and the play button turns blue and nothing happens doesn't that mean that pro tools is not setup to be the master and is trying to run as a slave but can't because it doesn't have any signal to slave to in the OP setup?

I think that is the problem, at least with pro tools not playing in the situation you described.
Yep that's exactly what's happening! It only happens when I have the Profire 2626 setup as the playback engine though. It works fine when I have the Built-in Output set as playback or the Pro Tools aggregate io set as the playback engine....How would I make Pro Tools set as the master and not run as slave?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yep that's exactly what's happening! It only happens when I have the Profire 2626 setup as the playback engine though. It works fine when I have the Built-in Output set as playback or the Pro Tools aggregate io set as the playback engine....How would I make Pro Tools set as the master and not run as slave?

To Darryl: I've posted about the licenses several times in here and tried to contact Avid but don't really know how to get in touch with them. I've had Pro Tools m-powered 8 for quite some time and I feel like I read somewhere that there was a free upgrade to PT 10 if you purchased 8 before a certain time. Any light on how to get in touch with them on this would be helpful...I've already ordered a PT 10 crossgrade so it's not that big of a loss for me if they take the HD license away. Just wanna do the "right" thing and return something if it is not rightfully mine.
Sounds like Avid screwed up, they are normally pretty responsive on this stuff, but I would not worry too much about contacting them, but if you do you can do so through the Avid audio product registration page, link at the bottom here http://www.avid.com/US/support/register/audio and try to fill out that form in some way to get to them. But Avid support can also see this DUC thread and contact you. It is their problem, I more did not want you relying on this license then being surprised if Avid come looking for it back in future. Get what you have working now and it will work with your cross grade license when that arrives.

Have you tried the debug steps I have suggested? A leading cause of this exact behavior is audio drivers getting "upset", often from the computer being manually slept/suspended or power management kicking in (why you need to disable power management/sleep/suspend features in the optimization steps). Which is why I wanted you to try power cycling/rebooting everything.

Darryl
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Went through the "read this before posting" stuff and did it all and it now works! I guess I should've done that in the first place hahaha! Anyways, thanks for all of the help guys. Especially you Darryl!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Went through the "read this before posting" stuff and did it all and it now works! I guess I should've done that in the first place hahaha! Anyways, thanks for all of the help guys. Especially you Darryl!
No problems, have fun making some music now. Its always handy to know exactly what change fixed it.. but if it fails again you know the drill.

I've talked to Avid staff about making that "help us help you" link more obvious, hopeful that change will happen.

Darryl