Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Default File spitting and disk allocation nightmare!!!

Man you would think that after so many versions of protools this bug would be resolved. But yet its still here!!!

First off protools puts audio files where it wants to at times and not in the root session folder.

Also now i have a bug where it will not put files into the session folder even after save copy as. It still insists on putting all the audio files into another session i was working on the previous day. When i try moving the place where its putting the files it gives me a dae error. ARRRRRRRRRGH!

Even after changing the root audio folder to the one for my session still the same.

This is a real nightmare at times. I tried trashing all preferences and still the same thing.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Default Re: File spitting and disk allocation nightmare!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
Man you would think that after so many versions of protools this bug would be resolved. But yet its still here!!!

First off protools puts audio files where it wants to at times and not in the root session folder.

Also now i have a bug where it will not put files into the session folder even after save copy as. It still insists on putting all the audio files into another session i was working on the previous day. When i try moving the place where its putting the files it gives me a dae error. ARRRRRRRRRGH!

Even after changing the root audio folder to the one for my session still the same.

This is a real nightmare at times. I tried trashing all preferences and still the same thing.
Only once have i ever seen anything like this and that was all caused by the old template system (stationary pad stuff) since i totally abandoned stationary pads and ALWAYS start a new fresh session and state where i want it, and thats where all audio files default to etc! since taking this approach i haven't had a single problem.

Yours does sound a bit bizarre! not being able to place the files in the right audio folder?? obviously you can't move files around whilst the pro tools session is open as it is always referencing to the files so that would cause DAE error messages etc.

Hard drive and Digi database files is where to start looking and disk allocation for the problem session!

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM

what is stationary pads?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM

You'll want to explore the Copy and Relink function as it should help you in these situations.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM

If you're having problems like this, i really recommend part of your workflow, when you open a session, before you start to do any work, is check the Disk Allocation dialog in your session.

it'll only take a 1/2 a second - and if you see it not pointed to the right place, another second to change the allocation. This could save you alot of nightmares.

I know you "Shouldn't" have to do this - but you're experiencing these problems which are not "Global", so you need to take these precautions.

this "Usually" only happens when you "Drag And Drop" sessions, (even session copies) to a location other then where they were created.

I'd definitely Check the Disk allocation Dialog at the beginning of working on a session, and "Save Session Copy" at the end of every session to back it up.

I "Preach this" on a normal day, with nothing acting up, the lads at the studio call me the "Backup Nazi"

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM

When i change it though it ignores my settings and just puts it where it wants anyways. Is there another way to change this?