How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Default Is Pro Tools Right For Me?

Hello,

I have a usb and a Mac laptop.

I've learned that the usb mic isn't compatible and I need an external keyboard for virtual instruments.

I would rather not have to get a bunch of new goal to record music.

Are there work arounds or is Pro Tools just not right for me?

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:23 PM

How can we tell? We have no idea what you hope to do and what other experience you have. Or why you are looking at Pro Tools vs. whatever you have been using.

What do you want to do/achieve artistically and what is your budget range? What physical instruments do you need to record? (electric guitar? acoustic guitar, drum... etc). What types of music? What VIs do you own now?

What exact model Mac do you have? OS X version?

Since you have a Mac: Garage Band is great to get started on and for MIDI/VI work Logic Pro is excellent. Have you used either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools Right For Me?

Thanks for your response Darryl.

My uncle recommended to my dad that I get Pro Tools (my uncle made a lot of money in the biz).

I've been recording guitar stuff, acoustic and electric, both with a Blue Yeti usb mic. I don't have an external instrument like a keyboard.

My goal is to write long songs for a special lady.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro OS Sierra version 10.12.6

I've been recording on Garage Band and I've liked it. I haven't used Logic Pro but I've assumed it's an expanded version of Garage Band. ?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 PM

If you are going OK with Garage Band and not hitting limitations I would just keep using it. If you want more capability and like the feel of Garage Band then Logic Pro is worth looking at.

If you need to collaborate with others who are using Pro Tools or are looking for a career in Pro Audio then sure learning Pro Tools may be the thing to do... except *many* pros will compose and do VI work in Logic Pro or another DAW with better MIDI capabilities than Pro Tools. Many folks will do that and still track audio and mix in Pro Tools. If you want Pro Tools... suggest to your uncle he buy you the $700 license, an interface (and monitors etc.), and an online training course.

For any composition work will likely want an external keyboard with any DAW.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 PM

Good stuff!!! Thank you.

Maybe I can talk my dad into getting me something else instead... like a better microphone or something to help me go from an output of a little Black Star Fly amp straight into my MacBook.

What do you think would create the most significant improvement for over all quality of sound?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 PM

What microphones you want depend greatly on what you are doing. Again what are you trying to record? Spoken voice? Choral? Metal? Acoustic guitar?

What is all the gear you own?

Budget? It is not hard to spend several $k on a great mic.

Many beginners overlook things like decent monitors, headphones, room treatments. Important stuff.

You are likely wasting time trying to improve what you get by recording a Blackstar Fly. You should look at recording the dry guitar signal (using an interface with a "DI" direct input) and using guitar amp sims in a DAW instead. If you specifically want to just record guitar and maybe vocals then an Eleven Rack or similar guitar processor may be a great option.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-28-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 PM

Here's a link to something I made using Garage Band, sent to Sound Cloud. It shows kind of what I have in mind. I'd like to put vocals in eventually, but... I'm still looking for something that works.

https://soundcloud.com/user-908455004/whatever-it-takes

I have;
Martin D-15
Martin X series
Custom Shop Fender Strat

One major problem is a background buzz I'm getting from the usb mic. I'm guessing an interface could solve that problem?

Do you know of any for $200?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:26 PM

My 2 cents, depending on your wishes; If recording is a hobby, then great advice has already been given. If you want to do serious recording, there are a few things you should move towards in the very near future(my opinion only):

A "real" microphone(which leaves out most any USB mic). On a budget, the MXL CR-89 or Miktek MK300 are really good(much better than the sub $300 price tag)
A "real" interface(doesn't need to be big or expensive, but of a better quality than you get with a USB mic, or anything that connects directly to the computer). Apogee and Focusrite make good 1-2 input boxes.
A reasonably accurate way to listen, which means a decent set of headphones and a modest(minimum) set of speakers. To me, that means no "computer" speakers. Again, it doesn't need to break the bank(I am quite impressed with the JBL LSR305's) and maybe a couple of acoustic panels to help your room(not a big fan of studio foam as Roxul or Owens-Corning panels do a much better job)
Note that none of this is recommending any DAW over another. Truth is, at the end of the day, almost any will allow good recordings, as long as you do things the right way)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 AM

lol :)

Thanks Dave

I don't know what it is. It depends on how a love pursuit works out.

I sincerely appreciate the ideas for better gear. I feel like it's very valuable information. You're 2 cents is worth... at least a dollar. :)

Y'all are nice. Kindness is magic.

Peace!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 AM

For a love interest, you'll definitely need to get a Sure SM7 and the Focusrite interface. The red color drives women crazy and that microphone is just enormous. Know what I mean???

Steve