Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-29-2001, 02:47 PM

Default startup hanging, various errors

I'm running with an "unsupported" Mac - A "vintage" 9500 with Newer 300MHz G3 upgrade card, NO SCSI cards, 512mb RAM, standard DigiRack plugins, Mac )S8.6 with base extensions plus required Digi and OMS extensions.

All to frequently, I have to reboot my Mac 2 to 3 teims to eventually get Digi 001/ProTools LE to run. If, after getting ProTools LE sucessfully running, I quit and restart, ProTools will sucessfully start up without the errors. Once the program is up and running, all is well, so I'm not sure that my "unsupported" Mac is entirely the problem.

Typically, when launching ProTools for the first time, the first error is a DAE error message or a freeze at OMS initialization. Upon rebooting the Mac, I usually get a type 1 or 2 error. Lately, I've gotten an error stating a TDM channel is not properly connected! I don't own a single TDM plug in, and of course, they wouldn't work with the Digi001, anyway.

From my experience, attempting to simply restart ProTools without rebooting is a waste of time. Consequently, I do a LOT of rebooting.

I finally threw out evey Digidesign piece of software I could find on my Mac, reinstalled everything. ProTools LE launched without a hitch the very first time I tried it, but went immediately back to its old tricks on subsequent attempts to start the program.

This is really maddening, because I can count on starting my Mac at least 3 times before I can do anything.

------------------
Old 01-30-2001, 06:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: startup hanging, various errors

A Mac OS Type 2 is an error that occurs when reading or writing information into memory (RAM):
-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac. When you go back into Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools Application Icon and not by double clicking on a session.

-Rebuild the Desktop file. Hold down the Apple+Option keys while the extensions march across the bottom of the screen during boot-up. Hold the keys down until you get a window prompting you and then Click “OK”.

-Zap the PRAM of the computer. To perform this, hold down the command+option+R+P keys immediately after you boot the Mac (and hear the first chime). Continue to hold those keys down until you hear the Mac chime 7 times, release the keys and allow the computer to boot to the desktop.

-Reduce the Disk Cache in the Memory Control Panel to 512k and restart the computer.

If the previous suggestions do not remedy this behavior, then your system is suffering from larger, Mac OS issues. In which case:
-Backup all important data
-Reinitialize the system drive with Apple Drive Setup
-Reinstall the Mac OS and Pro Tools.

Brent
Old 01-30-2001, 08:15 AM

Default Re: startup hanging, various errors

Brent,
Thanks for the comments. I'll try them and keep you posted. Once I finally get PTLE running, it works quite well. Its just frustrating to go through so many reboots to get started.

I anticipate using a B&W G3 for PTLE in the near future, and hope this will resolve some of the restart issues.

thanks again,
Dave Patterson