Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Post rig interface for home studio

Hey all,

Now that Pro Tools HD is unbundled I'm upgrading my old home system. I need an interface that has 6-8 outputs, 2 line ins, 1 mic pre, and has a volume knob with mute and dim switches. USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt doesn't matter.

So far only the Apogee Quartet seems to fit the bill, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Post rig interface for home studio

Focusrite or Apollo Twin Duo/Solo

Always great options.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I need 5.1 monitoring (thus the 6 outs) and I think the Apollo only does stereo.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonehengeX View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I need 5.1 monitoring (thus the 6 outs) and I think the Apollo only does stereo.
Aha Got it. Then Focusrite either Clarett which is A LOT for the money or the Focusrite Pre Series which are extremely great and real High End with RED Pre's etc. All depends on budget. Apogee makes Great stuff aswell

What have you looked at so far?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonehengeX View Post
Hey all,

Now that Pro Tools HD is unbundled I'm upgrading my old home system. I need an interface that has 6-8 outputs, 2 line ins, 1 mic pre, and has a volume knob with mute and dim switches. USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt doesn't matter.

So far only the Apogee Quartet seems to fit the bill, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Apogee Quartet with PT12 HD.
This is my secondary home surround system.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM

RME UFX or UFX+

great sound. 8 analog outs + 2 separate headphone outs, + aes + 2x adat stream outputs. Very happy with mine, using in standalone mode w PTHD software since PT10. (I own HD2 and HDNative hardware but don't use it.)

there is a remote control which should be able to do the monitoring functions you need.

-jeremiah
Old 09-30-2016, 10:57 PM

Something you may want to consider for 5.1 monitoring is just using your HDMI output and going to an AV receiver or even a pre/pro. That's what I do and it actually works pretty well. I have a Pioneer AVR, I run the MCACC room correction and then do further calibration with Dolby pink noise and a SPL meter, and it does the trick.

Alternatively, you can just get any interface that has 8 analog outs and pair it up with a Martinsound MultiMax monitoring system.

EDIT: Now that I look at the RME Fireface UFX+ closer, that may be actually be the ticket. The surround monitoring options on it do seem to be a bit on the crude side of things, however. It's a shame, because the TC Studio Konnect 48 seems to have a great surround monitoring setup in it, but do you really want to buy a FireWire interface from 2008?

Last edited by polyh3dron; 09-30-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 PM

MBox Pro 3 is supported by Avid through 2020, has all those features and can be found new on eBay super cheap.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM

i have saffire pro 24 and saffire pro 40 - ( I only got the 24 for a temp job whilst the 40 is shipping over )

The saffire pro 40 is better since u can use the hardware knob to actually control 5.1 volume,

the 24 will work - but knob only does the stereo on my rig.. have to use the software to the do the 5.1.

The HDMI is an interesting option - but if you are going self powered speakers perhaps the convenience of having some preamps to do the odd bit of recording should be factored in?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:35 AM

I've been using the RME UCX (cheaper than UFX) for 2 years and it works very well. The RME asio driver is very reliable and multi client, which means that I can use RX, Basehead and any other software along with PT without any problem. The routing interface is flexible and allow for different monitor configurations that I can recall with the remote control (sold separately).
I had first purchased an mbox pro, but there are many driver problems and I've never been able to make it work properly...
Jerome