Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2023, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Searching for a piano VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You could always use the numpad
I tend to be minimalist now. Using basic (small) apple wireless keyboard and wireless trackpad. Can relocate them anywhere when not needed. Desktop clutter is over now.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I don't see any system requirements on the site.
Soundpaint and its Soundpaint Downloader Application required either Mac OS 10.14 or later, or Windows 10 or later to be run on your device.

quote above from their zendesk. So I guess it leans on 'metal', but you cud try if you want.

/T
Old 03-23-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Maybe it is so cheap it does not require anything?
Yeah maybe. Somtimes things get very cheap indeed.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
Soundpaint and its Soundpaint Downloader Application required either Mac OS 10.14 or later, or Windows 10 or later to be run on your device.

quote above from their zendesk. So I guess it leans on 'metal', but you cud try if you want.

/T
Had to figure out what you meant by 'their zendesk'. Can't try it because my system can't be upgraded beyond OSX 10.13.6 unless I get a new video card and I ain't spending that kind of money for a $20 program.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Had to figure out what you meant by 'their zendesk'. Can't try it because my system can't be upgraded beyond OSX 10.13.6 unless I get a new video card and I ain't spending that kind of money for a $20 program.
video cards are expensive indeed. Sounpaint is free, including the 1928 steinway. zendesk = helpdesk.

I also own an un-upgradable mac with 10.13.6 on it. Used to be my primary system. Always worked like a dream.

/T
Old 03-28-2023, 01:09 PM

I'd love to give my 2 cents here. I have tried and listened to tons of piano virtual libraries out there. For the longest time I was a Synthogy Ivory fan and used the Italian Grand on thousands of projects.

I eventually landed on Alicia Keys. I don't know what it is about Alicia Keys, but for me it is one of the best piano samplers I have ever heard and used. I'm a pianist and my friends who are better pianists than me have loved Alicia Keys as well. I have been using this for the past 3 or so years and I would still put it at the top of my list.

A couple weeks ago I purchased Keyscape. I'm still adapting to it, but I think I love it as much as Alicia Keys. Keyscape gives you much more than just a piano and is therefore more money, but worth every penny.

One thing to note, a good piano controller makes all of the difference. When I play virtual pianos on my Komplete Kontrol S49, they sound fake and clunky. When I play them on my Kawaii VPC-1 keyboard, they sound absolutely amazing. So getting the sounds triggered right with a good controller is extremely important to the way it will sound.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-28-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I'd love to give my 2 cents here. I have tried and listened to tons of piano virtual libraries out there. For the longest time I was a Synthogy Ivory fan and used the Italian Grand on thousands of projects.

I eventually landed on Alicia Keys. I don't know what it is about Alicia Keys, but for me it is one of the best piano samplers I have ever heard and used. I'm a pianist and my friends who are better pianists than me have loved Alicia Keys as well. I have been using this for the past 3 or so years and I would still put it at the top of my list.

A couple weeks ago I purchased Keyscape. I'm still adapting to it, but I think I love it as much as Alicia Keys. Keyscape gives you much more than just a piano and is therefore more money, but worth every penny.

One thing to note, a good piano controller makes all of the difference. When I play virtual pianos on my Komplete Kontrol S49, they sound fake and clunky. When I play them on my Kawaii VPC-1 keyboard, they sound absolutely amazing. So getting the sounds triggered right with a good controller is extremely important to the way it will sound.
Glad you like Alicia's Keys but for me it's too bright even for a Yamaha. Combine that with I'm staying away from anything new from NI and that's that. I'm actually looking at the Ivory Concert Grands series which has Steinway D, Bosendorfer and a Yamaha C7. I would go with the Studio Grands which has a Steinway B and a Bosendorfer but they don't sell the C7 seperately. Demo'd the Pianoteq stuff and it just didn't make me want to buy it. Seemed lacking something in the sound (less weighty) for it's Steinway pianos.

QAPLA!
Old 03-29-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Glad you like Alicia's Keys but for me it's too bright even for a Yamaha. Combine that with I'm staying away from anything new from NI and that's that. I'm actually looking at the Ivory Concert Grands series which has Steinway D, Bosendorfer and a Yamaha C7. I would go with the Studio Grands which has a Steinway B and a Bosendorfer but they don't sell the C7 seperately. Demo'd the Pianoteq stuff and it just didn't make me want to buy it. Seemed lacking something in the sound (less weighty) for it's Steinway pianos.
That’s interesting because the reason I don’t like most piano samplers is because I feel they are typically too thin and bright. I feel that Alicia Keys is the opposite of that. But it could also have to do with the velocities your keyboard gives out in comparison to my keyboards I’m using.

I also saw that you are wanting to stay away from Kontakt after I posted that last one. So Id say definitely give Keyscape a go too. They actually just released an additional double felt Grand yesterday to all of its users for free. Keyscape is a more expensive option, but they are a great company with amazing support and Keyscape continues to impress me.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-29-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison though. The Kawaii is specifically meant to be a piano controller. The KK is a general midi controller for all sorts of VIs.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That’s interesting because the reason I don’t like most piano samplers is because I feel they are typically too thin and bright. I feel that Alicia Keys is the opposite of that. But it could also have to do with the velocities your keyboard gives out in comparison to my keyboards I’m using.

I also saw that you are wanting to stay away from Kontakt after I posted that last one. So Id say definitely give Keyscape a go too. They actually just released an additional double felt Grand yesterday to all of its users for free. Keyscape is a more expensive option, but they are a great company with amazing support and Keyscape continues to impress me.
It's a pass for me with regards Keyscape. Overpriced when all that I'd really want out of it is the C7. The rest of the stuff in there does nothing for me. Actually I have Omnisphere 1 and hardly use it; got it as a cheap crossgrade from Atmosphere when I ran a Windows system. Never gelled with the way Spectrasonics stuff work - have to strip too much out of their patches to get to something I can use.

QAPLA!