Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Video Slave Playback Lag and Other Annoyances

Hey all,

I love Video Slave, it works great.

Something that irks me a little about Video Slave is the preroll buffer at the head of playback. Perhaps I have it setup incorrectly - but is someone able to confirm or give advice about the short lag between hitting playback and video slave starting playback?

Also - does anyone know if it's possible to get rid of the timeline/project/import windows in Video Slave 4 like you can in v3.. ? I would upgrade from v3 instantly if it were possible to just have the video window and resize it to 50% so I could use it on my portable workstation. I hate how much room it takes up.

Last edited by TrentWilliams; 12-13-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Video Slave Playback Lag and Other Annoyances

I tried and tried with Video Slave and never got satisfactory results. It can’t do half speed playback, loop well, and doesn’t scrub as snappily as the AVE. It has more black frames and just generally feels glitchier (especially with lots of starting and stopping) than the AVE in my current system. For foley editing especially, all this has totally broken the deal for me. In playback, maybe it holds its sync better over time, but with a modern powerful system that difference is absolutely negligible if it even is any better any more. After spending tons of money to get a version that would work with my AJA T-Tap, I’m 100% over it. Try the AVE. It’s pretty solid for me these days. After beta testing V4 I wasn’t even offered a upgrade license (unlike iZotope’s beta program). If anyone wants to buy a V3 pro license, I’m selling.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Video Slave Playback Lag and Other Annoyances

Muffin Man are you still interested in selling VS3 Pro?