Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-02-2021, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro shuts down when I plug in Mbox Pro

Lily Swan,
I'm having a very similar problem with my 2012 MBP and 002R. My laptop will not start when 002R is connected and powered on. If I try to power on the 002R after the laptop has already started up successfully I get a kernel panic. Did you ever resolve your issue?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro shuts down when I plug in Mbox Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyster34 View Post
Lily Swan,
I'm having a very similar problem with my 2012 MBP and 002R. My laptop will not start when 002R is connected and powered on. If I try to power on the 002R after the laptop has already started up successfully I get a kernel panic. Did you ever resolve your issue?
You are not going to get good help this way.

That user's last activity was mid 2019 so they are not likely to be around to answer your questions... which are not about an Mbox Pro. And any interface having problems can hang a machine boot/cause it to panic so the 003 thread here is unlikely to help you. If you want help on DUC you should have a read of the info under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page, and should check for other threads about 002 problems similar to yours (search using Google search with site:duc.avid.com qualifier), and if none are relevant then create your own new thread and provide the information expected. Especially what OS version and what 002 driver version you are using.

And you get a kernel panic that says what? If you are lost there you can Google how to use Console.app to look at the panic messages. Often Googling a key piece of the panic errors message along with say "Pro Tools 002" will turn up exact help.

When did this start happening? What changed?

Be very careful unplugging FireWire cables when the 002 and computer are powered on. That can damage the 002 FireWire port. Always power everything down before connecting or disconnecting the FireWire.

The 002 has not been supported on new macOS releases for quite some time (https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...02-003-Drivers) and driver/macOS compatibility is the first suspect here. Faulty FireWire cables, damaged FireWire ports on the 002 or an others damaged 002 or a corrupt OS X/macOS install are all suspects which you can work through to check. Do a OS X/clean macOS install you are out of whack with driver compatibility, Swap FireWire Cable, what Firewire LEDs are on?, Try 002 on a different computer, try a full clean OS X/macOS install, give up and buy a modern interface from a trusted (non Avid) supplier.

Please start a new thread and followup there. You can copy and paste my questions/suggestions above and respond to them there. It's considered a little impolite on DUC to spam onto other users unrelated threads.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-02-2021 at 06:57 PM.