Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2017, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Inserts & Sends

Long live the ICON's! Oops, wrong forum.

Seriously though, IMO the humble D-command is a better controller than the S-6 for "mixing records" (I don't do post work, so). I had my second demo of the new S-6 software a week ago, and there was only two things I wish the D-command had, and I get by just fine without them. I know that the S-6 is supposed to be ergonomically correct, but again the humble D-command has it whipped. I think the S-6 could be a viable option if they would make an alternative center section. I don't need an ocean of buttons that I will barely use. And I don't fancy having my arms in the air all day long navigating and controlling plugins on the flat screen. Rather give me a set of controls (ala D-command center section eq and dyns panels). Put them at my fingertips because faders, eq and dynamics is the bulk of the heavy lifting and I'm on them constantly. Make all plugins controls so that they're always the same function, or at least laid out in a logical way. Random parameter spilling on the control knobs of the S-6 is a nightmare scenario for me. Yes, the S-6 is supposed to be modular, but honestly, all of the possible layouts shown to me are all a compromise. None of them hit the mark and allow me to get home earlier, or make my product better. And the S-6 costs how much?! Again, these comments are based around MY needs as a music mixer, and not a post mixer. Of course we're all different, and I do wish that the S-6 was a product that made me drool, but unfortunately, it's not.

For better or worse, my .02 cents.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Hi Mtung,

First, to be very clear, S6 was designed much like Icon, to satisfy the needs of both Post and Music mixers.

I'm not sure if you were shown this in your demo, but it is usually quicker to adjust plug-ins from local knob modules, and not from the MTM center section. The Exp button on each channel expands any channel function, such as an Eq or Dynamics or other insert to it's local 8x4 knob module (or dual 8x4's), putting most of the parameters onto enough local knobs to avoid paging (unlike D-Commands limited set of Eq / Dynamics knobs). This allows you to expand a function onto every chassis' knob module(s). Also the parameters do not spill randomly, they lay out in pre-determined page tables, at least for Eq & Dyn, similar to the hard layouts of Eq/Dyn knobs on Icons. It is kind of like Icons custom plug-in mode but it works in each fader chassis.

And with regard to instantiating plug-ins and sends from the surface. This feature was not prioritized for earlier releases in favor of surface features for which there was no workaround for in the PT desktop. Features such as Layouts, spill zones, soft keys, monitoring. In my experience, many of the Icon power users didn't even instantiate from the Icon surface because they could navigate through the menus/folders much faster from the mix window than the surface.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 PM

Hi Rich!
It's always nice to see some Avid people posting. Thanks for the clarification, though I have to say that after my two demos of the S-6, I still stand by my statements. The plugin spill didn't seem at all cohesive from plugin to plugin. Seemed like knob/parameter relationship changed from plugin to plugin; always hunting for the parameter I was looking for. And the text at the top of the rotary controls was often hard to make out, and even sometimes it would be completely hidden from view (the knob itself would block the text from view). Did I get a bad setup? Bad Demo? Paging on the D-command has never felt like a problem to me. A seven band EQ lays out beautifully, and if I need more bands I pop on another. 

As a music mixer, sometimes I can fall in the trap of overthinking the mix... when I should have gone with the vibe of the earlier mix. ;-)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 PM

I've mixed tons of major label releases and commercials on my icon d control and as I like to stand at times to mix I add the sends and inserts from the icon tons of times a mix instead of sitting in front of the screen. I have 5 screen's including a large touch screen and multiple track pads and mouse around the studio so I can insert plug-ins and sends from any monitor. But I still like to do it from the surface a lot. It feels like mixing to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM

It also seems that in an s6 m40 I won't have to stand to reach the top knobs. That's good and bad. I'm used to mixing on ssl G and 9k consoles and I learned my chops on a focus rite Forte so I am used to standing to reach the top controls.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtung View Post
Hi Rich!
It's always nice to see some Avid people posting. Thanks for the clarification, though I have to say that after my two demos of the S-6, I still stand by my statements. The plugin spill didn't seem at all cohesive from plugin to plugin. Seemed like knob/parameter relationship changed from plugin to plugin; always hunting for the parameter I was looking for. And the text at the top of the rotary controls was often hard to make out, and even sometimes it would be completely hidden from view (the knob itself would block the text from view). Did I get a bad setup? Bad Demo? Paging on the D-command has never felt like a problem to me. A seven band EQ lays out beautifully, and if I need more bands I pop on another.

As a music mixer, sometimes I can fall in the trap of overthinking the mix... when I should have gone with the vibe of the earlier mix. ;-)
Does the encoder text that is above the knob prevent you from seeing it only if you slouch? Or is it really in the way

Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Honestly, I found it in the way on at least half of the knobs. Maybe the chair could of had been raised a little but I was sitting comfortably. I try not to slouch.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 AM

Just switch the button and knob module, makes it way easier to use :)

I switched from a D-Command to an S6 last spring, and have never looked back. Once you get to know the S6, You'll get some really improved workflows :)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:35 AM

Amolin, that looks more like what I'm used to. I'll have to have the local rep set up something similar next time I try. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolin View Post
Just switch the button and knob module, makes it way easier to use :)

I switched from a D-Command to an S6 last spring, and have never looked back. Once you get to know the S6, You'll get some really improved workflows :)
Are you doing post or mixing or producing music? I find that you need more faders for mixing and tracking. When I write for commercials I can do it all with the mouse as I'm focused on my VI's. But when I'm making records and mixing I use all the faders.