Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 06:02 AM

Default Studio Security Question

Hello,

I have to bring up the sordid subject of security systems and equipment safety.

I have a lot of gear out here in the middle of newhere in the house. I have gotten to the point where I am reluctant to have people over because word travels fast sometimes.

What are you guys using to safeguard your gear? Insurance, cameras, monitored systems that call the police if there is a break-in?

Let me know what is working for you and what is worth trying.

I would actually like something that I could monitor from afar, but that could summon the police if necessary.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 07-16-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Securiorrty

Living in a really good city
We have a great alarm direct to police and fire system as our studio is built on my property in a purpose rebuilt guesthouse. I can login and watch every room and surroudings from my iphone.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Studio Security Question

Appropriate question to ask in these times. And while having a direct connect to the local cop shop and given the state of affairs with police don't depend on it to save your bacon (or equipment). Even in the best of times police response to the crime scene depends on the local police policies.

Example: Where I live in Trenton unless you need medical attention at a crime scene police will only do a phone interview - they won't come out. And it's even worse due to covid-19 and the anti-police situation. Typical response time if they do consent to come out is an hour if you're lucky. I suspect LA is even worse.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but unless you absolutely NEED to have someone in your studio - don't. Insurance will help in case of a loss but make sure you have the proper riders on your policy. Standard homeowners insurance won't work. Take pictures of EVERYTHING and store a duplicate memory card with those pics in a safe deposit box.

As to a security system make sure you vet whomever you have do the install unless you do it yourself. In another lifetime I worked for Wells Fargo Alarm Services and I do my own alarm work here. You wouldn't even know there's cameras and other sensors around. Any of the other stuff I have in the system I don't feel comfortable talking about on a public forum.

In addition to cameras make sure you can't see into your recording space from outside. Any stuff you get from a vendor & is shipped to you remove all addressing from the boxes before you put the cardboard out for recycle.

QAPLA!
Old 07-16-2020, 03:50 PM

I ran 4 cameras into a DVR(complete package from Costco). Really good locks(commercial grade). An alarm system with monitoring and "PRO" insurance(like for a studio business, not an addendum to a home policy)

With all that, I still had a few pairs of headphones disappear, but don't waste an insurance claim for a few hundred dollars. Just absorb the small losses and write them off( a small claim or two and you might get cancelled)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-16-2020, 04:03 PM

Good suggestions, Jack.

I live at 14th and Plum (14 miles out, plum in the middle of nowhere).

Nearest neighbor is roughly 1/4 a mile away, not counting the horses and cows. I also have a monitored system. Police are still very good here. I am a small studio, and typically only have few people at a time.

I have entry illumination and frosted safety glass so no seeing in. I typically have any gear delivery deposited in a secure location.

Good point on insurance. Yes, standard homeowners won’t cover, typically, if you’re making money from it.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Securiorrty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Living in a really good city
We have a great alarm direct to police and fire system as our studio is built on my property in a purpose rebuilt guesthouse. I can login and watch every room and surroudings from my iphone.
Yeah, the living in a really good city part is getting harder these days, right?

I have a general practice of setting the stuff up where it would be difficult for thieves to get the stuff out.

What kind of alarm are you using? Does it alert the alarm company first and then leave it up to them to contact the police? Or does it just alert you?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Appropriate question to ask in these times. And while having a direct connect to the local cop shop and given the state of affairs with police don't depend on it to save your bacon (or equipment). Even in the best of times police response to the crime scene depends on the local police policies.
There is a service of some sort where they call the police for you, I think. But they check first or something like that and you have to be ready to pay the "call fee" for the police if it turns out to be nothing.

Quote:
Example: Where I live in Trenton unless you need medical attention at a crime scene police will only do a phone interview - they won't come out. And it's even worse due to covid-19 and the anti-police situation. Typical response time if they do consent to come out is an hour if you're lucky. I suspect LA is even worse.
Yeah, covid isn't helping the situation, that's for sure.

Quote:
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but unless you absolutely NEED to have someone in your studio - don't. Insurance will help in case of a loss but make sure you have the proper riders on your policy. Standard homeowners insurance won't work. Take pictures of EVERYTHING and store a duplicate memory card with those pics in a safe deposit box.
Who do you use as insurer? its always seemed prohibitively expensive.

Quote:
As to a security system make sure you vet whomever you have do the install unless you do it yourself. In another lifetime I worked for Wells Fargo Alarm Services and I do my own alarm work here. You wouldn't even know there's cameras and other sensors around. Any of the other stuff I have in the system I don't feel comfortable talking about on a public forum.
Well, if you go to Wal-Mart [wear a mask], you will find several "install it yourself" systems. Different kinds, different brands, different prices........ They have them with a DVR or you can monitor on your phone. I assume you can can a response team / police - type hookup.

Has anyone any experience using any of that stuff. What is a good one?

Quote:
In addition to cameras make sure you can't see into your recording space from outside. Any stuff you get from a vendor & is shipped to you remove all addressing from the boxes before you put the cardboard out for recycle.
I agree with the idea of making it hard to see in. But a busy house with the windows blocked out might make people interested?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I ran 4 cameras into a DVR(complete package from Costco). Really good locks(commercial grade). An alarm system with monitoring and "PRO" insurance(like for a studio business, not an addendum to a home policy)

With all that, I still had a few pairs of headphones disappear, but don't waste an insurance claim for a few hundred dollars. Just absorb the small losses and write them off( a small claim or two and you might get cancelled)
How does the alarm / monitoring work, and what kind of insurance?

Best,

mightduck
Old 07-16-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Good suggestions, Jack.

I live at 14th and Plum (14 miles out, plum in the middle of nowhere).

Nearest neighbor is roughly 1/4 a mile away, not counting the horses and cows. I also have a monitored system. Police are still very good here. I am a small studio, and typically only have few people at a time.

I have entry illumination and frosted safety glass so no seeing in. I typically have any gear delivery deposited in a secure location.

Good point on insurance. Yes, standard homeowners won’t cover, typically, if you’re making money from it.

Whoa, dude! I think we're neighbors!

What is "entry illumination"? You mean like floodlights that come on when someone approaches?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 07-17-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
There is a service of some sort where they call the police for you, I think. But they check first or something like that and you have to be ready to pay the "call fee" for the police if it turns out to be nothing.

Yeah, covid isn't helping the situation, that's for sure.

Who do you use as insurer? its always seemed prohibitively expensive.

Well, if you go to Wal-Mart [wear a mask], you will find several "install it yourself" systems. Different kinds, different brands, different prices........ They have them with a DVR or you can monitor on your phone. I assume you can can a response team / police - type hookup.

Has anyone any experience using any of that stuff. What is a good one?

I agree with the idea of making it hard to see in. But a busy house with the windows blocked out might make people interested?

Best,

mightyduck
#1:
The exact process depends on who is providing your system. Some set their systems to go directly to the police and some work as a central station where they call the police when something happens.

#2:
Been using State Farm. Good insurance isn't cheap but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than having to replace all your gear. Depending on the policy you get you may not get full replacement costs (up to what you paid for the gear) but a pro-rated amount. Also keep in mind liability insurance in case someone gets injured when they're at your place. Keep things organized and don't allow trip hazards to happen.

#3:
Again it depends on the type of system you get. Some go to a dispatch center/central office and some can go direct to the police. Be aware that if you're going to have outside cameras that even though the camera video might be wireless you're still going to have to provide power to said cameras. And as with any wireless system you can get hacked or your signal intercepted. As to what is a good one - that's up to you to decide. Dig out user reviews.

#4:
Better to have a so-called busy house with blocked out windows than to let people know what's going on inside and what's inside.

Lastly for now:
Taxes. Depending on how nosy your neighbors are and how nosy a building inspector is in your area you may get someone that gets a weed up their ass and calls the authorities and that can get interesting. Especially if you're in a residential area to begin with. And not just property taxes but income tax if you're a money-making operation. California likes to tax everything you know.

QAPLA!