Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Farewell fxpansion/BFD

Apparently ROLI has sold off fxpansion to Inmusic. Have to wonder what will happen to BFD considering how Inmusic hasn't exactly been up to par with Air instruments.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Farewell fxpansion/BFD

InMusic is where plugins and VI goto die! And Roli have screwed themselves with those stupid insanely expensive seaboard rise and we were one of the idiots who got the biggest Roli Grand one and paid like 2500 dollars but now worth MAYBE 200-300 even though it is mint. All swedish dealers stopped selling all Roli gear a year ago due to no sales.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
InMusic is where plugins and VI goto die! And Roli have screwed themselves with those stupid insanely expensive seaboard rise and we were one of the idiots who got the biggest Roli Grand one and paid like 2500 dollars but now worth MAYBE 200-300 even though it is mint. All swedish dealers stopped selling all Roli gear a year ago due to no sales.
Ouch. I remember that Jordan Rudess was all hyped up about the Seaboard keyboards. What I think really killed them was the lack of popular vi's to work with them.

This news is sad because BFD is my go-to drum vi. It's the only one where I can put together a full DW kit; other drum vi's have bits & pieces of DW gear but not enough for a whole kit.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:28 PM

Exactly. Very Few VI were supported and also a PAIN IN THE AZZ to work with. Extremely convoluted workflow for a keyboard player and it would be like rubber strings on a guitar for a guitarplayer which would be imoossible to re-learn.

They were very well built and ”Apple-esque” but had no future and was doomed from the get go with those prices too. I mean €1400 for a 49 key version and €2500 for the 88 Roli Grand which now is removed and sits in its box like new in the closet here which is VERY SAD.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 AM

Very sad news. You know why.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-27-2020, 11:53 AM

I've been using BFD for a VERY long time. It's great overall. Though I still hold they made a mistake with the 'blue print' style interface.

But the sounds were really great, the options were extensive, and BFD had features the other big names (like Superior) didn't have.

But, Superior Drummer 3 has caught up and exceeded BFD3. They integrated a grid editor. They sample the $**t out of drums (the core library is over 230GB!!!)

The new tracker option is so cool too.

I ended up buying EZ Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3 and grabbed the newish Death & Darkness expansion. Very happy with them.

I just can't trust inMusic. They have not done well with the other brands they absorbed. They still haven't fixed a problem with installing Strike 2 that goes back 6 years!

It's too bad really. BFD3 had all the features YEARS ago that Superior is just now adding, but they really messed up by side stepping the interface.

But who knows. Maybe Fxpansion will be left alone to actually produce new plugins and they will surprise us with BFD4.

But Toontrack, Ugritone, and Native Instruments have me covered right now with more drum sounds than you can shake a drum stick at

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
....inMusic... still haven't fixed a problem with installing Strike 2 that goes back 6 years!

Just to set the record straight:

You’re right about the problems with the AIR Music Technology Updaters for both Strike and Structure.
I had to download the Full Versions to make them work OK.

Anybody who owns Structure 2.0.7 and/or Strike 2.0.7 can get the Full Version installers here:

http://support.pluginboutique.com/kn...-download-area

They've also been available here for quite a while:
https://www.airmusictech.com/retail/redeem
Old 04-28-2020, 02:40 AM

If Air and Sonivox are any indication, I guess we’ll start seeing BFD3 and all expansions on plugin boutique for $1 every few months... I already own the program but wouldn’t mind picking up few expansions at that price :)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
If Air and Sonivox are any indication, I guess we’ll start seeing BFD3 and all expansions on plugin boutique for $1 every few months... I already own the program but wouldn’t mind picking up few expansions at that price :)
Would not be surprised at all. The current prices are nuts.

QAPLA!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Ouch. I remember that Jordan Rudess was all hyped up about the Seaboard keyboards. What I think really killed them was the lack of popular vi's to work with them.

This news is sad because BFD is my go-to drum vi. It's the only one where I can put together a full DW kit; other drum vi's have bits & pieces of DW gear but not enough for a whole kit.
Try Superior Drummer 3 and get the Death & Darkness expansion. Death has a FULL DW Collectors Series (5 toms) all Maple kit w/2 DW Collectors Series snares.

Darkness also has a full 4 tom DW kit.

The presets are made for metal, but the samples are raw so you can fashion them however you like.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio