Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Default HDII user with a few questions...

First off, I realize some of these questions are answered around the forum. I just lack time at the moment, and am overwhelmed with information on this PT9 issue. So, was hoping to get a few quick answers from people in similar situations...

I'm running HDII on a late model DP G5. I know I'll have to upgrade my box. But, I have old-school cards, too.

So, I'm screwed... right? Basically, I'll have to dump that box and the cards for next to nothing?

Next... if I keep my 192, and buy a new Mac Pro... am I then needing to by a new core card to use it with the new computer, I'm assuming?

If I do buy a core card with which to hook up my old 192 box... does that core card supply processing power to PT9, or is it just a glorified cable attachment?

I'm on mostly digi-rack plugs, but have Focusrite stuff, Massey stuff and a few other things. Is there any one thread that shows plug-in compatibility?

Any other things I should consider before making this transition?

Again, sorry if some of this is covered elsewhere. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Re: HDII user with a few questions...

you can get a Magma chassis and keep you old cards (also add some if you want)

the core card has DSP on it (HD Native card lacks DSP but can have 2 interface chains)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
you can get a Magma chassis and keep you old cards (also add some if you want)

the core card has DSP on it (HD Native card lacks DSP but can have 2 interface chains)
So, the core card is going to deliver better system performance, but we won't really know how much better until we start getting some reports from users who are going with and without, I'd assume?

Chassis is an option, but every system I've worked on with Chassis have had problems.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 PM

We were faced with the same problem. We upgraded one of our old HD2 G5 rigs to a new intel hackintosh from express hd, it works amazing! Nothing complicated about the setup, pop in the cards and install PT and plugs. The fan is louder than a proper mac, but ours in in the machine room, so it's not an issue. To get the same performance with a new Mac and expansion chassis is more than double the cost and Avid doesn't officially support expansion chassis' anymore.

Here is the link:

http://www.expresshd.com/express-pc-q8400.html
Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Post Re: HDII user with a few questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky3000 View Post
So, I'm screwed... right? Basically, I'll have to dump that box and the cards for next to nothing?
Not if you get the PCI-X <--> PCI-e chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky3000
Next... if I keep my 192, and buy a new Mac Pro... am I then needing to by a new core card to use it with the new computer, I'm assuming?
Only if you do not buy the PCI-X <--> PCI-e chassis.

Quote:
If I do buy a core card with which to hook up my old 192 box... does that core card supply processing power to PT9, or is it just a glorified cable attachment?
If you buy an HD Core card, it will supply processing power. Only the HD Native card has no processing power.

Quote:
I'm on mostly digi-rack plugs, but have Focusrite stuff, Massey stuff and a few other things. Is there any one thread that shows plug-in compatibility?
I haven't seen a thread. AVID has a list somewhere with the versions that are compatible. The only plug-in that appears to be not compatible right now is VocALign.

Quote:
Any other things I should consider before making this transition?
Which Mac Pro to buy.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Yeah,

I traded in my 2.5 GHZ G5 a few years ago and got a new 8Core and did the cross-grade thru Digi for the Accel Cards.. I saw this coming sort of and needed more horsepower in any event. It was a bit of an expense, but I am glad I did it. The system always pays for itself in a short amount of time here. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 PM

I talked to Magma tonight about their 2 slot chassis and they said it is compatible with Pro Tools. You could get it and put your HD core and Process in it and get an PCIE host card that would go into your new Mac Pro. The chassis cost 1200