Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 01:12 PM

Default new strings on bass to record or old?

what do you like on a bass when you record it new or old strings........ive been using some old ones but they have been on my bass so long that they dont sound in tune anymore even when they are .... i hate to change em in the middle of the project im on but they really sound lifeless & as i said the intonation is a major factor.......thnaks chas
Old 03-01-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: new strings on bass to record or old?

Quote:
what do you like on a bass when you record it new or old strings........ive been using some old ones but they have been on my bass so long that they dont sound in tune anymore even when they are .... i hate to change em in the middle of the project im on but they really sound lifeless & as i said the intonation is a major factor.......thnaks chas
If that's the case, change them. Intonation is critical. However, as a general rule most bass players don't change their strings often because it isn't as necessary as it is guitar strings. I have a bass guitar I play from time to time (at least several times per month), and I haven't changed the strings since June 26, 1999 (I actually keep track of when I change strings on all my string instruments). As long as you take good care of the instrument and put some fastfret on the strings bass strings can last an incredibly long time. I know some people who might think that five years is too much, but it sounds quite good and it's really more a matter of how much the instrument gets played. Still, when the intonation goes, it's impossible to keep the pitch right and you simply have to change them.

Funny thing is, while I INSIST guitar players get a new set of strings before recording, I generally prefer that bass strings are NOT new going into recording. I think they sound best when they're a few months old. They just don't stretch out as quickly as guitar strings.

But, again, if the intonation is gone I think it's an open/shut case. You really have to replace the strings. Bummer, but it's gotta be done.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:44 PM

I've got strings on my bass that I've been using for 4 years. I think old strings just plain sound better. But if you're having tuning issues then you're gonna have to make that call yourself. Out of tune = yuck! But old strings sound great

chris
1024mb DDR PC3200
Maxtor 40gb System and 60gb Audio drives
www.millicentfriendly.com
Old 03-01-2004, 01:49 PM

It depends on the sound you're going for.

James Jamerson (Motown - Funk Brothers) once said that part of the key to his sound was using the oldest, dirtiest strings he could find! He basically only changed them when they broke from old age.

New strings have more upper harmonic overtones; they're brighter. If you're going for a bright, aggressive sound like Rush or Yes, or even Kiss type stuff, you want the newest, cleanest roundwound strings you can get. If you're going for a smoother sound, like early Beatles or Motown, you might want to use flatwound, or half-round strings, and maybe old and dirty.

But definitely, if your intonation is suffering, get rid of those suckers!

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 PM

thanks for the replies.......these are the same strings ive had on this bass for 3 yrs too and up untill about a month ago i didnt really notice the intonation being too bad and i did like the sound...i just got back from the music store just now and bought a new set of Rotosounds that i know are gonna suddenly have me sounding like chris squire gone country but long as i sound in tune.again thanks chas