Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Default Audio files on different hard drives reconcile.

Ladies and Gents

At the moment I have some audio files that I have dragged and dropped onto my timeline from workspace. Some of the files are on an external hard drives. Now my issue is I did not know that protools only links to these files and I thought that protools would make a copy of these files into my audio folder and link to that. This is a problem for archival as I will send the session files to commissioner and also one of the hard drives is not performing well.

1st question, is there an easy way to reconcile all audio on my timeline or session to my session audio folder and link.

2nd question, how do get protools to only make a copy of the file on import rather than link to.

Thanks very much.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Audio files on different hard drives reconcile.

1st question: you can do a "save copy in" and checkmark "copy all audio" which can create a new session with everything organized. (that's the usual way of sending a pro tools session to someone else so you know all the files are there.) Or, you can go to the workspace, select your pro tools session in "locations", open the audio files folder, sort by directory, highlight every audio file that isn't in the right directory (sorting by directory should have gathered them together), and then right-click and select "copy and relink." That'll copy all the those files to your audio files folder for the session and then relink the clips back.

2nd question: In preferences>processing>import there's a checkbox "automatically copy file on import"
Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawili_Sound View Post
Ladies and Gents

At the moment I have some audio files that I have dragged and dropped onto my timeline from workspace. Some of the files are on an external hard drives. Now my issue is I did not know that protools only links to these files and I thought that protools would make a copy of these files into my audio folder and link to that. This is a problem for archival as I will send the session files to commissioner and also one of the hard drives is not performing well.

1st question, is there an easy way to reconcile all audio on my timeline or session to my session audio folder and link.

2nd question, how do get protools to only make a copy of the file on import rather than link to.

Thanks very much.
Look into the "copy and relink" function in the project browser. This handles both of your questions.

Option+O, find your project on the left, locate the audio files folder, all of the audio files in the session will show up, regardless of their location. You can sort by locations (sort by path). Then you can select all of the files on the other drive, then copy and relink to the location you want.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 03-17-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
1st question: you can do a "save copy in" and checkmark "copy all audio" which can create a new session with everything organized. (that's the usual way of sending a pro tools session to someone else so you know all the files are there.) Or, you can go to the workspace, select your pro tools session in "locations", open the audio files folder, sort by directory, highlight every audio file that isn't in the right directory (sorting by directory should have gathered them together), and then right-click and select "copy and relink." That'll copy all the those files to your audio files folder for the session and then relink the clips back.

2nd question: In preferences>processing>import there's a checkbox "automatically copy file on import"
What BScout said gets you where you want to go

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanks so much, will do.

Cheers