Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Default D-Command VCA on the main unit and their SPILLs on the fader bank. Please help!

Hi guys,
I've done this before, and I've been searching forever but no luck. You know what I mean, right? I got my Main Unit to the left (where I want my VCA's) and my Fader Bank to the right (where I want to have my VCA Spills).

Thanks in advance!

Jordi
Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Re: D-Command VCA on the main unit and their SPILLs on the fader bank. Please help!

And you've cycled through the CF choices in the Operations Menu of the ICON?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Default Re: D-Command VCA on the main unit and their SPILLs on the fader bank. Please help!

Hi Drew!
I think I have. My problem is that both the CF tracks in VCA mode and the spill of the VCA's share the same justification, so I can't tell my D-Command to place one on the main unit and the other on the fader bank.

The thing is that I did read a post by some of you smart guys that precisely showed me how to do it, and I used it for a while. I ended up changing my workflow and now I want back. Only I can't find the post!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 AM

Maybe this great post can be of some help?

Quote:
I got this one from Jean-Gab Grandouiller, one of our European Super Icon Master Jedi's :

How to get the most out of Custom Faders Power User Tip :

This will make the most sense if you have a setup where your faders are on one side of the main unit, like in my case I have 32 faders left of the main unit and none on the right side of the main unit. That said ... it will work regardless ... even on a split setup if you wanted it to for some odd reason ....

Anyhow : there are numerous ways to set this up but I've found this way to be the easiest :

Set your fader packs in the peripherals as if it was a split setup : Fader / Main / Fader. Even though your physical setup may be Fader / Fader / Main.

Next, in the soft keys prefs :

- set the Left CF bank justification to RIGHT
- set the Right CF bank justification to Center LEFT

next :
make sure that :
- Set LCF Group to 16
- Set RCF Type to 8

Now .... create some VCA Masters and assign some mix groups / member tracks to them

On the main unit 'open' up your Right Custom fader group by pressing the Masters switch on the right hand side of the main unit and then choosing VCA's by pressing 6 in the Bank select section. That should open up your VCA masters in you Right CF section

Next, activate the Left CF section by pressing the Groups switch on the Left CF switches on the main unit.

From this point on you can spill any VCA group directly onto your faders whitout having to ever fold them back up to access another one.

If you set it up the way I described you should have your VCA masters fixed to the second bank of 8 while you can spill any group into the 16 faders closest to your main unit. I set the LCF to justify right so it leaves open empty faders if the group is smaller then 16 which makes it VERY convenient to work with.

Seriously ... It's maybe not something you want to consider getting into from day one but once you get into the power of Custom Faders this will bring you that extra edge that makes you go WOW .... WICKED !!!!!!

And the way I set it up I can still use the far left bank of 8 for normal fader use.

It also opens up the use of 2 custom fader groups on the same end of the Main unit and the limit is really what you imagine doing with it. You can apply the above stuff to anything CF's can do really.

Thanks Jean Gab for this Tip.

Enjoy .......
Studio rig - Pro Tools|HDX 2018.7 | Logic Pro X.4.2 | Avid HD I/O (8x8x8) | 6-core 3.33 Westmere w/24GB RAM | OS 10.12.3 | D-Command ES | Eleven Rack | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
Mobile rig - Macbook Pro i7 w/16GB RAM | UA Apollo 8p | Pro Tools|HD 2018.3 | Logic Pro X.4.2 | OS 10.12.6
Old 05-24-2014, 06:57 AM

Hi Stig!
Thanks for your reply. I'm on a 24 chn D-Command though.