Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Default My (working) list of bugs: hoping for fixes...

I was posting these on another thread, then realized maybe I should move it to the main board to see if any of you had input. It's been a real disaster moving from a perfectly working PT10, to a nightmare 11.

I'm running 11.03 on a brand new Macbook (Mavs) ... 8 GB RAM. Waves key, two ilok keys for plugs. All updates current.

Thus far, this is the rockiest Pro Tools upgrade I've encountered in about 20 years of working on the software.

Any ideas on the latest bugs?

-Video stuttering (Seems to be codec related and fixable, though oddly had no issues in PT10 on 10.6.8) (I brought my template over from PT10, is that the issue? I believe it may be.)

-WaveRider performance problems - Plug-in specific but it won't write regularly... it zips down to zero volume randomly as it tries to write audio levels. (I use this as a precursor to manual riding during the mix phase simply to stay in general volume ranges.)

-Audio Suite EQ - When I sample bits of audio I want to process with DigiRack EQ7, I just get random buzzes and tones... not the audio. So, I'll highlight a region... hit preview... and it's just random hisses and tones. No audio. Then later, it will work fine.

-Multiple crashes on start-up. I have two iLok keys and a waves key.. and it seems like 1 out of 4 start-up attempts result in a crash.

-Cannot eject hard drives. "Pro Tools is using" error, even when its not. Often, I'll even have to quit PT, and STILL can't eject the hard drive.

There are many others, but that's just a quick starter list. Anyone finding similar, or have any fixes for these issues? Odd that this was such an expensive upgrade. It really feels like this wasn't remotely beta tested at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM

Default Re: My (working) list of bugs: hoping for fixes...

What are you using for an audio interface? What external hard drive?
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM

Thus far none of these problems have resulted from interface use. (None hooked up to my laptop and at home I have HD Native PT10 still.)

So, there is no interface as of yet on the Macbook. Just simple mixing, headphones... no recording in/out yet.

ioSafe is the hard drive brand I'm using. (And have for about 2 years with zero problems, they're guaranteed... indestructible, essentially.)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM

BUMP this for not being able to eject hard drives. Has anyone else really not found this being problematic?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 PM

Agreed. Tried to unmount a drive through workspace which is gone in 11. Tried to unmount from Finder and got the same message mentioned above.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Bumping this cause Avid needs to fix the fact that we have to completely shut down ProTools every time we need to eject a hard drive!!! COME ON AVID! We can't even eject from the Workspace anymore! I thought this new workspace was supposed to be the ish…

I'm also surprised no one else has been mentioning it, cause I know I'm not the only one with the problem.

chris.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM

My workflow doesn't generally need me to eject external drives while Pro Tools is still open.

However, now you mention, I have had problems ejecting on an odd occasion recently. In each case, I found Pro Tools was still running, but with no project open.

I'd closed a project and moved on to doing something else, then forgotten that PT was still running.

After shutting down PT, I was able to eject the drive without problem.

PS ... I had not been accessing the external drive for any purpose connected with pro tools, but it does have some other pro tools projects stored on it. So
I assume that pro tools has found those projects and then secured the drive to prevent ejecting while it is running, on the basis that I might want to access those projects.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangroom View Post
Bumping this cause Avid needs to fix the fact that we have to completely shut down ProTools every time we need to eject a hard drive!!! COME ON AVID! We can't even eject from the Workspace anymore! I thought this new workspace was supposed to be the ish…

I'm also surprised no one else has been mentioning it, cause I know I'm not the only one with the problem.

chris.
I haven't had this issue since PT9... Running PT11 on 4 computers. Can eject any and all external drives at any time (unless obviously the session PT is reading from is on one of the drives.)
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I haven't had this issue since PT9... Running PT11 on 4 computers. Can eject any and all external drives at any time (unless obviously the session PT is reading from is on one of the drives.)
Ron, is ProTools 11 open when you are ejecting these drives? I've got 3 separate systems running Mac 10.8.5 and none of them will eject hard drives once ProTools 11 has opened a session. Prior to opening any sessions however, hard drives will eject fine. Unfortunately, that doesn't help us much as we're always running sessions :)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Do a search here for some of the stuff I've written about "direct disk access"...it might give you a better understanding of what PT is doing disk-wise...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh