Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Default How to setup Dual Wire AES - Connecting a Pacific Microsonics Model 2

I'm trying to connect my HDX rig with HD IO and AES option card to my Pacific Microsonics Model Two. Any tips on how to set this up? It needs to be Dual Wire AES mode. Is that a selection you make inside hardware setup or is it inside IO within a 192K session?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Default How to setup Dual Wire AES - Connecting a Pacific Microsonics Model 2

Avid interfaces do not support dual-wire AES, only single-wire. You can attach both AES ports to two of the AES channels on a dsub cable, but I don't know of any software that can take separate dual-channel files and turn them back into one.

Nice converter by the way. Keith Johnson really designed a sonic work of art. Megadeath's Cryptic Writings goes down as one of the best HDCD encoded rock albums in my book.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Re: How to setup Dual Wire AES - Connecting a Pacific Microsonics Model 2

Thanks James, I appreciate the reply. Yeah the Model Two does sound good for sure.

I'm confused about the Dual Wire thing though cos I was reading the HD IO manual today and read this but have no idea how to implement it....I'm gathering it only works with the AES option card which I have but also only works by using the first two AES channels of that card. Does that sound right?

AES/EBU 1–4 (Dual Wire) Enable this option for four channels of AES/EBU input at sample rates of 176.4 kHz and 196 kHz. Sample Rate Conver- sion is not available in Dual Wire mode. This op- tion only appears at sample rates of 176.4 kHz and 196 kHz.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Default Re: How to setup Dual Wire AES - Connecting a Pacific Microsonics Model 2

When the Model 2 was introduced nearly 15 years ago, the only way to transmit high def was at a standard def rate. Dual wire was invented to get 88.2/96 from two 44.1 /48 streams. In essence, if you were using the Model 2 to convert to 96, your Pro Tools session would be running at 48 since the HD I/O doesn't support dual-wire at that rate. The only rate it does support dual-wire is 176.4/192.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-13-2014, 12:15 AM

To the OP, dual-wire does not make AES connection any better than single-wire, both are just as stable. That's why Avid interfaces only use dual-wire when it is mandatory (as said, 176.4k and 192k).
Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 AM

Many thanks for the replies gents
Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 AM

If you still can't get it done, you probably need one of these or something like that.