Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Unhappy Do I need to be connected to the internet to use PT?

I'm running Snow Leopard. I'm using PT 8.0.3cs update. I have a 003. I've converted my all around computer into just being my music computer. The only thing I actually did was to disconnect it from the internet so I would stop using it as a general purpose computer. After I did this, PT started acting funny. It takes longer to load up. Also, after I choose to load a session, it gets locked up on the "Loading edit window. Loading mix window" screen. The progress bar stops moving and my cursor turns into the beach ball. When it first happened, I immediately re-connected the internet to do a google search and then PT started working. I re-tried it and every time it locks up, all I have to do is to re-connect to the internet and it works again. Does anybody know why it's doing that? Here is what I see:

5/3/10 10:45:26 PM MIDIServer[562] MIDIServer [562] starting; arch=x86_64
5/3/10 10:45:26 PM MIDIServer[562] PlugIn DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin -- /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ does not contain a supported architecture.
5/3/10 10:45:26 PM MIDIServer[562] MIDIServer relaunching because a 32-bit driver was found
5/3/10 10:45:26 PM MIDIServer[562] MIDIServer [562] starting; arch=i386
5/3/10 10:59:56 PM com.apple.WebKit.PluginAgent[614] Debugger() was called!

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want this computer to be connected to the internet because of where it will be in my house. Also, what does "Debugger() was called!" mean? Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Do I need to be connected to the internet to use PT?

nah it shouldn't need to be connected to the internet. it may be actively trying to find a connection or wifi connection and using resources though. only thing i can think of that would affect anything. sorry all i have is a guess on this one.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Pretty sure digidesign (well they used too) suggested turning off the internet anyway to save resources and problems.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Administrator

See if this helps:
In Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools folder, open SoftwareUpdater.app

Check the box for "Do not check for updates automatically"

Unless you are using that mac to connect to other computers or networks without connecting to the internet, open System Preferences/Network.

If you see Airport in your location, turn it off if it is showing Connected. You can also turn it off and on from your top right computer menu bar if your Airport menu is there.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the help all. I just launched PT this morning and it happened again. This is exactly what it said in the console:

5/4/10 8:02:20 AM MIDIServer[274] MIDIServer [274] starting; arch=x86_64
5/4/10 8:02:20 AM MIDIServer[274] PlugIn DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin -- /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ does not contain a supported architecture.
5/4/10 8:02:20 AM MIDIServer[274] MIDIServer relaunching because a 32-bit driver was found
5/4/10 8:02:20 AM MIDIServer[274] MIDIServer [274] starting; arch=i386

It locked up and then I connected to the internet and it un-froze. It seems that this only happens if I don't open PT for a couple of hours. If I open PT right now (less than ten minutes after I connected to the internet), it will open fine regardless of whether or not I'm connected to the internet. I appreciate the help. If anybody thinks that they might know what's going on and you need more info, just let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Stop wasting your time looking for a nonexistent answer.
Go ahead and do a fresh install of your OS then rebuild your PT installation.

Then make sure you follow the advice from Digi about disabling the the updater as well as connection methods.

Your problem and headach e should then be gone and will take less time than looking for a cause.
The fact that it goes away with the cionnect aspect seems more like you left some stray aspect that is hogging resources because it's trying to connect to the internet.
The fresh installs will get rid of this and let life move on.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Avid

This is a known issue with the 002/003 MIDI driver. You have a couple options - the best one being to move the DigiDioMIDIDriver.plugin out of the MIDI Drivers folder located at MacHD>Library>Audio. This will, unfortunately, disable the MIDI ports of your 003, but if you're not using them, it's a simple and effective workaround.

Did you try the suggestion given by Digidesign in the previous post? I want to be sure because it's another possible solution.