Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Unhappy 003 is finicky about connecting to other applications

I tried searching the forums, and couldn't find anything identical to the problems I'm having. I have Pro Tools 8.0.3cs. I'm on a Mac Pro tower with the newest update of Snow Leopard. I have a 003 and it runs Pro Tools fine. The problem I have is that when I try to get sound from Safari or iTunes, it is sporadic about when it'll recognize the 003. I've gone to the system prefs. and clicked on the 003 for the input and output, but as soon as I close the system prefs. window, the audio settings default back to what they were before I opened it. It doesn't always do it though. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The CoreAudio app doesn't even kick on unless I turn it on, and even after I do that, it doesn't do anything. It's says "connected @ 44.1k" but the "attached clients" are 0. I've tried opening iTunes before I open CoreAudio, but nothing happens. I've tried opening iTunes after I open CoreAudio, and nothing happens. I did notice that on some occasions that I got it to work, I had to quit CoreAudio to get sound from Safari, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a solution to it? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Default Re: 003 is finicky about connecting to other applications

What works for me 99.9% of the time is that you have to turn on the 003 1st. Before you turn your computer on. My 003 was finicky in this same fashion too till someone gave me that little tip. If you're running a PT session and want the audio from itunes or Quicktime, etc to go through your 003, you have to quit PT. Give it a minute to let the Core Audio Driver completely "let go" of PT. Then try running audio from another app through it. It should work. At least it does on my system. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply I'm going to start doing that. I've somehow got it working now. I reset 5 times and on the fifth time, my computer finally recognized my 003. I'd like to find out whether or not this is a common problem that there is a definite way of fixing.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PihSant View Post
Thanks for the reply I'm going to start doing that. I've somehow got it working now. I reset 5 times and on the fifth time, my computer finally recognized my 003. I'd like to find out whether or not this is a common problem that there is a definite way of fixing.
Jiffzilla is right - you should always have your 003 on before booting up the computer. Additionally all energy savers should be turned off - if it goes into sleep or energy saver mode, you'll likely have to restart the computer and the 003 for it to work correctly.

Always launch the Core Audio Manager first and make sure it shows 'Connected' before launching the application you want to have play through it.