Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 with Kontakt 5.5.1 "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messag

According to Native Instruments own compatibility chart for OSX 10.8, Kontakt 5.5.1 is recommended....

https://support.native-instruments.c...tibility-Chart
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 with Kontakt 5.5.1 "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It's a VI/plug-in host that comes with some bundled samples. It is another purchase I'm afraid but using Kontakt and Spitfire libraries in PT10 is optimistic as you've found out!

Come to think of it, isn't Kontakt 5/K5 Player 64 bit only? It shouldn't work at all as PT10 is 32 bit. I think that could be the issue right there.
As to whether K5 works in PT10 or not depends on the revision level; K5.5.2 is the last version to work with both PT10 and PT11. Like I said I've yet to have any problems with Kontakt 5.5.2 full version in PT10.3.10. If someone does it's more a mis-configuration in one's system rather than the fault of Kontakt. Plenty of people have and are using K5 in PT10.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
According to Native Instruments own compatibility chart for OSX 10.8, Kontakt 5.5.1 is recommended....

https://support.native-instruments.c...tibility-Chart
Ok so it's not that then. Did you look at how much memory Pro Tools is using? My system used to crap out when PT was using around 2.3GB. You can get up to that figure VERY quickly.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 AM

ok so the original error message only appears if i use the single Kontakt application, with many instruments in the one plug,
if i however use kontakt for each instrument track, (track 1= instrument track with kontakt and just one sound loaded into it)so, brass on track 1, strings on track 2, it lets me get about to about track 12 before the ubiquitous (-9129) "increase hardware buffer size" message. getting to about 1.28 gb memory usage.

so in a way its sorted it, but i guess i need more RAM, Im at 32 out of a max 64 available.

i've always ran it at about 65% cpu usage, 13 (out of 16) processors, its always been good with a fair bit of audio, but with soft synths its start to crap out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.50.56.jpg (76.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 10.51.37.png (20.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.51.11.png (61.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
ok so the original error message only appears if i use the single Kontakt application, with many instruments in the one plug,
if i however use kontakt for each instrument track, (track 1= instrument track with kontakt and just one sound loaded into it)so, brass on track 1, strings on track 2, it lets me get about to about track 12 before the ubiquitous (-9129) "increase hardware buffer size" message. getting to about 1.28 gb memory usage.

so in a way its sorted it, but i guess i need more RAM, Im at 32 out of a max 64 available.

i've always ran it at about 65% cpu usage, 13 (out of 16) processors, its always been good with a fair bit of audio, but with soft synths its start to crap out.
Good that you're spreading out things in individual instances of Kontakt. Are you using the Kontakt memory server? I do and I've run a boatload of Kontakt instances in PT10.3.1 (at least 20).

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:16 AM

Yeah thx jack! I'm using the memory server, but only 4 cores on the multi processor support. It first offered 16 as default. What should it be?
If I purge all the samples I'm not using (in Albion you can switch off the different mic settings you're not using, and the articulations of the orchestra players) then it should give me a few more tracks. And up the RAM from 32 to 64Gb. At the mo it's crapping out at 1.28gb I think.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah thx jack! I'm using the memory server, but only 4 cores on the multi processor support. It first offered 16 as default. What should it be?
If I purge all the samples I'm not using (in Albion you can switch off the different mic settings you're not using, and the articulations of the orchestra players) then it should give me a few more tracks. And up the RAM from 32 to 64Gb. At the mo it's crapping out at 1.28gb I think.
Ordinarily I'd give a hard number to use for multi processor but I've found to get something that will work on a specific system you just have to experiment with the numbers - you won't hurt anything and all you lose is some time. You do gain one thing and that's deeper knowledge of your system and the kinds of loads it can handle. What I would do is to start at the higher number and see how that works out and then go to the lowest number and see how that works out. If one is better than the other then you know where to start from. You shouldn't be having issues at that 1.28 gb level. Give me some time (it's a rainy day here and no client work to do) and I'll see what I come up with on my system - I don't have any Albion stuff but for what I'm talking about that shouldn't matter.

Those additional mic positions will really put a strain on a system and that's not only for Kontakt but also the East West Play engine libraries.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I'd set it to all available cores. I've always done so here and it's worked flawlessly. That's not what is causing your bottleneck. Number of cores has nothing to do with the amount of RAM being used.

I'm not sure you're spending your money wisely by increasing RAM. Upgrading to a 64-bit version of ProTools or buying VE Pro would make a much bigger difference to performance. As you've already discovered the Spitfire libraries are very demanding. You need to get around that bottleneck where Pro Tools is crapping out with 1.28 GB of usage first. (I'm really surprised it's that low. Mine didn't crap out until 2.3 GB and as I've said, ProTools 10 itself doesn't throw up in a message until it reaches 2.8 GB of RAM usage.)

Even if you bought more RAM, you are still going to hit that bottleneck of 1.28 GB in Pro Tools I would think.

As an example, until very recently I was running ProTools 12.6.1 with a template including over 40 instances of Kontakt loaded and ProTools using around 7 GB of RAM when the template loaded. This included instances of Kontakt that had many instruments loaded. It worked incredibly reliably and just as well because my job depended on it. I'm streaming thousands of voices of polyphony all day 6 often 7 days a week.

You might be surprised how much can be loaded in 32 GB. I have a satellite PC that is acting as a sample server. It has 32 GB of RAM and 26 GB is used. This is all VE Pro hosting ALL of Spitfire Chamber Strings, Symphonic Woodwinds, HZ01 Percussion, Percussion (excluding tuned,) Skaila Kangaroo Harp, plus my own orchestral percussion library and a VSL harp. In other wordings... a lot.

By the way... what buffer are you using?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 AM

Under "system usage"/CPU (Native) it's mostly 30-40%, rarely hitting about 56%.
I've turned off multiprocessor support now (regarding the cores.)

HWBuffering at 1024.

Still crashing after 15 or so tracks, having to purge each instance of Kontakt upon loading just to get new tracks to record, it's a drag !

I hear ya, regarding RAM. VE pro is probably the cheapest option here. What's their base line player for Kontakt ?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Btw, the only RAM usage I can see being used is in the icon bar, I'm guessing that's the RAM for Kontakts server memory.