Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Unhappy Focusrite Saffire and PT 9 Hardware Insert Help!!

Recently I bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP and upgraded to PT 9 on Win 7 64 bit. It took a little work to get the bugs of the software out but I have it working bug free... for now.

Anyway, the reason I upgraded my interface was so I could have some I/O's to play with and start messing around with some hardware. The studio I intern at let me borrow an old DBX 160A, but when I tried to plug it in and use it as a hardware insert, I just could not figure out the routing in the Saffire Mix window.

I'm pretty sure I have PT set up right for the Saffire, it shows all the correct I/O paths in the hardware menu, but the Saffire Mix window is a whole other beast. I know this sounds like a question that should be directed in a Focusrite forum but I've searched their site and tried reading all the help files and watched a couple YouTube videos, and still just am not grasping the concept of how to route stuff.

If any of you have experience with this interface, and think you might be able to help, please chime in. I'm not as dumb as I sound, and learn quickly, just need some instruction in layman terms.. Thanks for your time.

Chris
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Saffire and PT 9 Hardware Insert Help!!

I've never used the Saffire, but I suspect you need to assign your IO for the hardware insert within the Pro Tools IO setup window>Hardware Inserts tab. There is also a tab for manually inputting a delay compensation amount to back the rest of your audio up to match the round trip of your processed track(the one using the hardware insert).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I've never used the Saffire, but I suspect you need to assign your IO for the hardware insert within the Pro Tools IO setup window>Hardware Inserts tab. There is also a tab for manually inputting a delay compensation amount to back the rest of your audio up to match the round trip of your processed track(the one using the hardware insert).
Yeah the cool thing about PT 9 is that for many interfaces, it automatically sets up your I/O paths, as it did for mine. They look correct to me. And I did see the hardware delay compensation tab in the PT menu, but I need to be able to get the audio routed correctly first to be able to use it!

I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the saffire mix control. I wish it wasn't required to set it up in order for your I/O's to work, but it seems as if it is. Thanks for the input though.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 AM

This may seem like a bit of silly question...but have you tried the "DAW Tracking" routing preset in the Saffire MixControl window? You need to be able to match up the input in the mix control to your input in Pro Tools. Easiest way to check is to first make sure you're getting sound registering in the Saffire MixControl window. It worked pretty easily for me in PT, my only issue was figuring out SPDIF, but I got that sorted after a little fiddling
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024