Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Default Will PT 12 vanilla run with HDN card & Omni?

1. Question in title

2. If yes to first question, will the lower latency times of HDN be available when running PT 12 vanilla?

ASUS Sabertooth, Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz
32 GB 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit
Old 09-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Will PT 12 vanilla run with HDN card & Omni?

1. No. All HD hardware will only work with a Pro a Tools HD license. Widely discussed in the past in DUC. You can search for questions like this.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 AM

I did search. Found this discussion about 11 and HND.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352374

Some replies indicate 11 vanilla would work with HDN. Some say no. Unresolved discussion.

SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit
Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teolin View Post
I did search. Found this discussion about 11 and HND.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352374

Some replies indicate 11 vanilla would work with HDN. Some say no. Unresolved discussion.
Actually perfectly resolved by the last post. And that is one thread from hundreds, and when people say stuff that is wrong and get corrected by more experienced folks you need to try to work out who knows what they are talking about. I knew somebody who used to uh maybe get it to work... Dose not mean anything, except the poster was confused.

I have given you the answer, if you do not like that then I encourage you to buy a used HDN and Omni, or even better a whole rack of HD IO, and see if it works with Pro Tools standard.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:29 AM

IMO the last reply from Dave, albee1952, is addressing 2 unrelated questions. The first one is a reply to DaveSB who has what sounds like a TDM system, which of course won't run with 11.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSB View Post
I also have a PCIx PT HD system and 96i
Could I use that setup with core audio or is it only the OMNI and HD Native PCIe

This hardware is not compatible with PT11 in any form.
The second paragraph is about someone running an 003 and vanilla PT, and when Dave inserts his ilok with an HD license the 003 opens and runs HD.

Your statement admonishing me for not being keen enough to figure out who is offering valid input on the DUC, is plainly insulting. Help you give around here, which is considerable, is often accompanied by rudeness.

What in the world is this nonsense: If I don't "like" your answer, I should go buy an Omni or a "whole rack of HD I/O?"

Darrel, I saw a while back that you put someone on your "blocked list." Please put me there too.

SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit
Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM

OK fair criticism, and I now realize that you are specifically asking about Pro Tools 12, and I can see where that might come from given all the new features in 12 that come from HD.

All versions of Pro Tools standard (non-HD) are deliberately crippled so they will not work with any HD hardware/interface, that includes anything from Avid or third party interfaces, that you can connect in any way via Digilink. Yes even if third part DAWs or other utilities can use ASIO or CoreAudio to do that, Pro Tools is deliberately crippled so it will not. This applies to all versions of Pro Tools, including 12.

This general issue has been flogged to death before on DUC, but I'll agree it is not easy to quickly find the best discussions.... Much past confusion comes from people thinking CoreAudio or ASIO support for those interfaces means Pro Tools standard will run with them. And the few "sure I know a guy who did this..." posts we get I don't know where they come from (but I have seen directly at least one case of somebody insisting they did it with Pro Tools standard and when we checked he really had a HD asset on the iLok).
Old 09-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Please forgive the continued horse beating, but the last comment about having and HD license on the iLok opened one last question from me. If I have an Omni and an HDNative card and a valid PT11HD license on my I Lok, and then I add a new PT12 license to my system, will the HDNative option show up in the Playback Engine dialog when I open PT12?

Thanks in advance. I really don't want to drag this out, but like all things Avid, there is just no concrete "Yes/No" in any of their documentation for this type of configuration.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM

If the new asset is 12HD then yes, your HD Native card and system will work. If your P Tools 12 asset is plain Vanilla 12 then no, your HD Native system will not work with it. That's just the way it is.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the response. Another disappointing HD "feature" from Avid.