Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 09:06 AM

Default Adjusting Gain Levels/ Headphones

When tracking a singer through mic line one, dynamics often change a lot...should I set level once and leave it or ride gain/record softer or louder parts separately?

Also how do I get an extra set(s) of phones attached to the 001? I've used a splitter on the front headphone jack but experience craxkle and overloading....also tried plugging in on a back output and bussing but that only gives me mono...how are others doing it???

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Old 03-15-2001, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Adjusting Gain Levels/ Headphones

You should use a compressor for your vocal tracks. That should keep you from clipping when recording lyrics with lots of dynamics. For the headphones. If you want to run multiple sets you should consider a headphone amp. With this you would run 1/4" cables from the Digi moniter outs to the inputs of the headphone amp. The one I bought allows up to five pairs of phones and I got it for less than a hundred dollars. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:02 AM

Do you mean track with compression plug-in? I thought that it is best to record vocals uneffected in any way? Anyone?
Old 03-15-2001, 07:17 AM

I would recommend not changing your input level once you have it set. If you ride the input and you do multiple takes and want to comp them together later, it will be very difficult to match the levels and the sound. Set the input low enough that even at the loudest part of the song it doesn't clip. Then use a compressor on the track.

Using a compressor plugin on the track you are recording vocals will not effect the signal that is recorded. The mic/line inputs on the 001 are direct in, so any plugin you add to the track only effects what is going out. I often use compression while tracking in a couple of different ways.

One is to solve the problem of dynamics. If you compress the track a bit, and boost the output level, the singer can hear him/herself more easily even in the quietest parts of the song. Unfortunately Protools LE will only allow you to use a plugin on a record enabled track if you are not in low latency monitor mode. This may or may not be acceptable for the singer or material you are recording.

I will also use a compressor while tracking to get some extra gain for monitoring. For example: You have your input levels set perfectly, but the singer still needs to hear him/herself louder overall, and you already have the volume fader on the track pushed all the way up to +6. You can add a compressor to the track (even if it is not compressing) and use the output level to get some extra gain in the monitors. Again this will not effect the recorded signal, and can only be done if you are not in low latency monitor mode.

Regarding the headphones.....best bet is a headphone amp. They're not too expensive, and they give much better quality and flexibility than the headphone out on the 001

Hope this helps,

Sevan
Old 03-17-2001, 11:11 PM

When I record vocals I use an outboard compressor, not the plug-in. That way the vocals are compressed before they get to the Digi, and the sound you hear through your moniters, is the sound that is recorded.
Old 03-20-2001, 03:42 PM

If you need to ride gain, do not do it with the pre-amp!! It makes it's adjustments to big, so the changes will most likely be noticable. If you have to ride the gain, use a fader use either an aux input on PT sending to the audio track, or outboard. Faders have much more resolution. I do tend to print a little processing upon tracking. However, I use it sparingly and only to clean up tones and fix problems rather than change sounds. Remember, we are sound enginners, with the job of getting the hottest signal to tape as possible. Signal processing are our tools, so use them do do the job as best as possible. Traditionally, enginneers printing compression on vox while tracking only use a 3 to 1 ratio (maybe even 2 to 1) and only like 2 or 3 dB GR. Not much, but it will improve the noise floor considerably. Good Luck, and record at 24 bit!