Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Default So how long until "they" decide were unneeded?

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/artic...dialogue/13493

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Re: So how long until "they" decide were unneeded?

Hmmmm, interesting. This seems cool but I'm not sure how I feel about it and how it may affect the industry of broadcast engineers. Seems to me like it shouldn't hurt as the networks and such are still going to need mixes. But if this ever gets to a point where it is standardized in every home, I think I would definitely start to worry. As you eluded to, it's "they" that make me nervous.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM

it would be interesting if the "mix" information was sent back up to the broadcaster

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Like crowd-sourced mixing?

Just finished watching Breaking Bad back catalogue from iTunes and I could really have used this on those shows. The dialog was practically inaudible at times. I had to throw the EQ on it with a massive boost plus the full 12dB of gain just to be able to hear them. I've never had to do that before.

Probably an iTunes issue more than a mix issue but still…

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 PM

I think this technology is great. Countless times I would have much preferred to listen to the M+E instead of having to hear actors. "The Dark Knight" was almost ruined by that dorky deep voice Batman put on. The score by itself was a far more compelling experience than the movie.

Anything that draws attention to audio post is good. Even this.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C View Post
Like crowd-sourced mixing?

Just finished watching Breaking Bad back catalogue from iTunes and I could really have used this on those shows. The dialog was practically inaudible at times. I had to throw the EQ on it with a massive boost plus the full 12dB of gain just to be able to hear them. I've never had to do that before.

Probably an iTunes issue more than a mix issue but still…

C
Yeah, its not the mixers. Its the channel. What you are listening to is the broadcast version. AMC has a "new" box that destroys the mix basically.
Its does this weird compression that looks when there is no dialog and basically pumps and compresses in all the wrong places.

AMC might as well broadcast in black and white and mono.
What's the point of HD picture when the audio is destroyed.

This mixers are so upset by this and basically there is nothing they can do about it.
So they mix for the Blu-Ray version.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:13 AM

In some respects I don't think it's that different to domestic surround kit. An ex flat mate used to prefer to listen to surround with a phantom centre with the delay to the rears turned up to max. But i could tweak it back to better settings and he'd not notice for months.

On the other hand, my 80yr old mother would love this. As her hearing degenerates, she increasingly complains that she can't hear the dialogue.

As for us pros, it won't change how we mix from an artistic POV. It will just give us one more technical consideration.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:30 AM

Honestly, I stopped mixing for "crappy TV's" years ago. EVen recently my client said they didn't want to hear it through a TV.

IT translates fine though the "crappy TV", but there are bigger audiences who like great sound.

Screw iTunes and Hulu mixes. If they are listening through their laptop or iPad, its their problem.

I'm tired of accomidating the least common denominator. There are many people who spend money on halfway decent systems.
Mix for them.

And if they can't understand the dialog from an iTunes download, get use to it.