Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 AM

Question Anyone knowing SM Pro Audio Stage Buddy ?

Hi all,

Plans are in the make of building a home studio in a seperate room with sound treatments and all that, so I can go with my stuff out off the addic. I'm cruising around the net to find out what kind of equipment I would need besides the stuff I got already. (just want to be prepped in detail then afterwards running into over-budget). One of the things that came to my mind is how to get from my console to the vocal booth (also meant for recording smaller acoustic instruments like guitar, violin, brass) I'm going to build without having a hassle with a lot of cables, walloutlets, etc. Then I found something about the SM Pro Audio Stage Buddy Personal Monitoring System. It looks like this is exactly what I need. Thing is, I can't find a whole lot about it, not even a manual pdf. Not much on google, nothing even on youtube. So, here's the question. Is this a usefull tool ? What about the preamps in this device, latency? Is anyone using this? Would it even work in my setup (specs below) Do you have suggestions for similar other products for a reasonable price but good quality that does the job ?

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thx in advance
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Anyone knowing SM Pro Audio Stage Buddy ?

Have you looked at
http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/m...ng-system.html
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 PM

Hey Gravy,

Well...yes.. thats where I got the info I got from. But there ain't no specific details enough on their website for my taste, also because there seems not more info on any other sites as well, not even the reseller/store websites.

It looks absolutely perfect for my goals but I'm not going buy something on a gut feeling, so some advice in this is very much welcom.
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Hey Ludia!
I solve the same problem with a little 6 channel mixer. I send a stereo mix, minus the artist to one stereo channel, and I send a stereo bus to another stereo channel, with just the artist, giving them " more me" control. The mixer also has 2 mic inputs, one of which I use as the talkback, again giving the artist control of that. The talkback is always live, making comunication fluid. If you want " belt and braces" control, you can bring the main out of the mixer back to the control room, enabling you to hear exactlyn what the talent is listening to. I always send the mon mix from aux sends, as in HD you can copy your levels to the send. The problem with the stage buddy would be with overdubbing, that is to say the playback before a punch in would be a different level and tone, if the artist has local control of their direct feed.
My little mixer (alesis) has reverb too, should anyone be desperate.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Also, for what its worth, I use a samson s phone, with a stereo output from 4 submixes, going to each aux input, giving me 4 independant cans mixes, I run another small mixer to the main ins, giving me talkback and the option of sending my stereo main mix to all cans. There's a front panel cans out for each channel, so I can hear exactly what they're hearing, and tone controls for different types of cans, and it sound great. plus you can run the cans feed on a single xlr cable, making the cabling easy. If you keep a floating send fader on your session, of whatever's being recorded, you can quickly alter their mix.