Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Default Save Copy In for "updating" a backup folder?

Hi,

because of memory reasons I have the idea, to work from a external disk. For backup I would say each time after finishing a important step "save copy in" and would choose my internal SSD.
Can I tell PT12.5 to "update" this internal backup folder? Otherwise I guess it would always copy all audio objects again and again and again.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Save Copy In for "updating" a backup folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Hannes View Post
Hi,

because of memory reasons I have the idea, to work from a external disk. For backup I would say each time after finishing a important step "save copy in" and would choose my internal SSD.
Can I tell PT12.5 to "update" this internal backup folder? Otherwise I guess it would always copy all audio objects again and again and again.
you mean an incremental update .. good idea, but i do not see anyway for Pro Tools Alone to do that ..

any idea but not sure if it would work .. would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner to Increment the Audio Files folder, Backup files Folder, but woth the Session File, you would have to Replace it .. the Waveform Cache also needs to be updated ..

you could test it if you have CCC .. if you do not i could try it later and see if it works ..

like i said it is a good idea .. would keep backup lean and clean ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 AM

I use both CCC and Free File Sync (https://www.freefilesync.org). One of the nice things about CCC is the Safety Net feature and it's great for cloning system drives. Free File Sync is free and very capable. Just make sure you're always syncing in the right direction. FFS is also cross-platform. If PC, I use Microsoft's Sync Toy (free download).
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Hannes View Post
...Can I tell PT12.5 to "update" this internal backup folder? Otherwise I guess it would always copy all audio objects again and again and again.
Just use Synchronize Pro X.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM

I know CCC, must look if it's still on my disk.
FreeFilesSync is also here - but I cannot work with it - that's what you said: you must be sure and check what you're doing, each time. Okay, this is with every backup system But I had to rename main folders after they decided to count them. The PT sessions were in a sub sub folder. Now, FreeFilesSync is not able to handle that. I tried every three options I could find (size, name and so on). So it warned me, that if I am sure, if the folder I wanna sync is reallyreally the right one (yes!).
That's the human factor. And I (try to) use only software which fits to that. No the way around