Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 10:32 AM

Default I\'m missing tracks when I reopen a session!?

This has happened to me a few times already. Usually I can just skip the "locate file" screen and when the session opens, the tracks are all there. Yesterday things took a turn for the worse: I did "skip" and when the session opened, I really WAS missing two tracks, even after multiple restarts! So I guess I have 2 questions...

1. What the heck is going on?

2. What can I do to find these so called "missing" files?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:58 AM

Default Re: I\'m missing tracks when I reopen a session!?

instead of skipping it, try searching for it. that would be my guess
Old 11-25-2002, 11:14 AM

I have tried that, but the files aren't in the session folder, so I wouldn't even know where to look, and since the tracks it can't locate are entitle "Vox 1" or "Bass 2", I'd have a hard time finding those specific tracks because almost all of my sessions have tracks with those same exact name.

So I read some DUC thread where other people reported the same problem. Somebody said it was a know Digi bug and that if you just skip the file location, the tracks would all reload, but now that's not working either.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:55 PM

Hi,
I dont have PT open in front of me now, but i believe you have the option to search by name or by unique file ID, which eliminates the problem you were talking about (multiple of the same file names). So make sure that option is checked off.

As far as where to search, you have the option of how much, and what drives, folders, etc... to search. I think the first option is something like "current project". The options below are more in depth searches. You can even search the whole disk drive if all else fails. Odds are, once PT finds one, they (files) will all be in the same spot.

Good luck
Old 11-25-2002, 02:11 PM

Are you recording to multiple drives? Is one of the drives not present (lent to a friend or co-worker?) Are you sure that when you are recording, you are indeed recording to the drive and folder that the session is actually on?

Hope you find your audio.

Yorik
Old 11-25-2002, 06:10 PM

Try a Find using date criteria... just an idea.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:06 PM

Skipping tells PT that those files will no longer be needed. Saving seals your fate. If you did this before with no problems, I'd bet that the file was a sliver at the begining or end that you didn't notice.

You can ''search current volume'' or ''search all volumes'' but you should search. If you do get more than one you have the option to play the file to help you decide. Also, if you make it match the unique id, it should be THEONE.

There are many reasons this happens. Importing audio without choosing to ''copy the files'', moving sessions, opening and renaming.

It's happened to everyone until you learn the system, how to check disc allocation and be sure your files are going where you want them to go.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:35 AM

As a matter of fact, I did move the file. When I originally saved the session, I accidentally saved it to the PT folder in my Apple Menu Items. When I discovered that it was saved there (on my OS 9 HD, of course) I moved the session to my music HD, where I store all my PT sessions. So not only did I move the session, but I moved it from one HD to another. Could this be my problem?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:43 PM

yep, that's probably it. PT will put files where the sessions tells it to and those instructions are created at the begining of the session. You need to check them to make sure you're saving your audio where you think you are.

It's possible to have a session on your audio drive writing data back to the folder you created on your system drive. Moving folders can also confuse PT since it remembers path names.