Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
My support plan is up this Friday too and after much thought, I won't be renewing it. I had really hoped that last years fees would have been used to fix long standing bugs and create general stability for PT, but instead Avid used my money to develop cloud collaboration and other features that I'll never use while simultaneously breaking things that worked before. I just purchased another 5.1 Mac Pro 6 core machine as a backup and I plan on staying put with my current rig for many, many years.

It seems like both Apple and Avid have really gone out of their way to make sure that they never see any more of my money...odd.
I like your hardware/software strategy. Get what works and be ready to stand pat. I just bought a spare Z97 and X99 motherboards so I can run Windows 7 for many years, not being forced to upgrade based on hardware support issues with Win10.

With respect to the topic of AVID and Apple not wanting your money.... my opinion is that AVID is simply incompetent. Apple, however, has a much more sinister goal much like Microsoft, which is to force you into a cloud based or subscription based model. Gee, I wonder why they would do that?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 AM

I stopped renewing the support and upgrade plan after the first year (up to 12.5), waste of money.
Rolled all three rigs back to PT10 and happily working with very reliable systems.
I need to work not beta test.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Avid had the audio world by their private parts a few years back, but somehow Avid "management" (I use the term loosely) has done everything possible to screw that up since. And all the while, they have been rewarding themselves with very high salaries. It's sad. Outsourcing the engineering team for a highly technical and sophisticated product, not once but twice? And cloud collaboaration? Was it really worth spending two years in development and messing with the stability of the platform for a feature aimed at a very small subset of users?

Those were terrible, costly decisions that set the company back several years. Any other company with a less firm grip on the market would have collapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
It seems like both Apple and Avid have really gone out of their way to make sure that they never see any more of my money...odd.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 PM

Mine expired at 12.7.0....Not updating....moon
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 AM

Well... I reinstated. I'll be covered for 2 years so hopefully I'll stumble onto the holy grail of os/pro tools version combo. So far, the edit selection lag is gone. Moving midi notes in the editor during playback still causes a lag. This only happens when the midi note is close to the play head. Moving up and down tracks with ; and p is still causing gui lag.. As well nudging tracks in the Artist Mix.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Well... I reinstated. I'll be covered for 2 years so hopefully I'll stumble onto the holy grail of os/pro tools version combo. So far, the edit selection lag is gone. Moving midi notes in the editor during playback still causes a lag. This only happens when the midi note is close to the play head. Moving up and down tracks with ; and p is still causing gui lag.. As well nudging tracks in the Artist Mix.
Reinstated at $299? Would have been cheaper to just stay current. That's how they get you! Don't give you any features, make you leave, then overcharge you to come back. If money is that easy, I'm in the wrong business!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM

Well, I'd think AAX would have built in obsolescence like everything else.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
Well, I'd think AAX would have built in obsolescence like everything else.

Don't say it.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM

Avid should offer PT HD on a month-to-month subscription basis, like they do with Native. It would probably make it easier for people to stay on the wagon when they are not faced with what amounts to a mortgage payment in a few days.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 AM

We've been holding our breath for about 18 months.

For basic music production, mastering and light midi we don't see any reason to pay $999 for the benefit of using HD.

I've been contemplating purchasing a 12Vanilla license and may do that before it's all said and done with.

Of late I've been trying to get up to speed on Logic PRO X that I purchased a few years ago. Looking good so far.

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey