Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 01-31-2017, 01:17 AM

Default Password Encryption on Mac External HDD

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience or issues with using disk utility in Mac OSX to add password encryption to an external HDD?

We have an external thunderbolt drive which contains various videos and media (which we use to run this video off in our PT sessions) and should the drive be stolen/lost at any time its important that our clients know that their projects wont end up in the wrong hands.

I've recently password encrypted a USB pen drive and am happy with the way it works and would like to do the same with our work drive.

Anyway, are there any knows read/write issues or stability/bug problems when running pro-tools using a password encrypted disk?

Just so you know taking the drive out of the building or buying a drive with a built in numeric pass-code pad are not really options.

Cheers!

Keith
Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Password Encryption on Mac External HDD

Hi,

all my internal work drives (and video drives) and especially transport drives are encrypted for the reason you mentioned: Possible theft from my Studio, or while on the road or to protect myself from my own mistakes (leaving my bag on the train etc.).

I didn't find any difference in performance. I've been doing this for years now running huge film mix sessions from them. This works fine with the OSX encryption format and I've even used TrueCrypt on special projects which also worked totally fine.

Don't trust these cheap "pin pad" type drives or USB-sticks. Most of them got hacked in the past.
Also remember to use strong passwords to avoid easy brute-force attacks. The protection is only as good as your PW and don't use the same PW for all of them.

Don't store them in your Keychain on your mac unless your workstation has FileVault on and you have auto-login disabled otherwise a thief who stole your whole mac will have access to all your external drives and the onboard ones as well and possibly everything else in your keychain.

Instead a good password-manager is your friend (not only for your ProTools work, btw)

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-09-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Password Encryption on Mac External HDD

Thanks Frank, thats really helpful. Nice to know there's someone who's doing it without any issues. I may give it a go this weekend.
Cheers!