Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 AM

Default Which External Hard Drive to Record with Pro Tools (Lacie, G-tech, OWC?)

I am running Pro Tools 8LE on a macbook Pro intel core 2 duo 2.4Ghz with 4GB RAM.
I will be updating soon to Pro Tools 9 and i was wondering which external Hard Drive will be best to Record.

I looked mainly at Lacie 1TB D2 Quadra, G-tech G-Drive 1TB(Seems to be the best option for the price), OWC and of course Glyph but it's out of my price range.

My Main question is whether G-tech or Lacie are good enough Drives to be used safely with Pro-Tools and which one is the quietest.

Thank you,
Manu
Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Which External Hard Drive to Record with Pro Tools (Lacie, G-tech, OWC?)

I've never liked Lacie, poor build quality

G-Tech, we've been having problems with of late. Growing pains from being bought by Hitachi?

OWC, have not used personally but a very good rep

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Which External Hard Drive to Record with Pro Tools (Lacie, G-tech, OWC?)

I see, i guess any drive at some point dies. Though G-drive seems a bit better than Lacie.
What have you been mainly using? Glyph?
Thanks
Manu
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 PM

mostly push/pull off server space for storage going room to room for sound

our picture department has been the ones having problems with the G-Tech drives
they have been good about replacing as needed (but not Glyph level)

Rocstor have been good for several people I know
http://www.rocstor.com/products/prod...le-Hard-drives

YMMV

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Would you recommend the Rocstor 850? Its price is very attractive. Is has a different chipset Oxford but i can't find anywhere what drive it is using. Seagate?

manu
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM

UP?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 AM

Just wanted to say I returned my Lacie D2 Quadra today because it made a really annoying noise. It was like a low frequency noise that made my whole desk vibrate!? Recording acoustic guitars or vocals? Forget it if you cant put it somewhere isolated!

I just ordered the OWC Mercury On the Go with the 750Gb (7.200rpm) drive for about the same price with shipping to Sweden included.

Don't know about the Rocstor but if choosing a smaller OWC disk you might get a great disc for a reasonable price.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 PM

I've heard lots about OWC they seem to be very quiet and reliable. !
Where did you order it from... My other option is Glyph but here in Helsinki it's extremely over priced. 399 for the 500gb hahaha

Manu
Old 05-30-2011, 02:14 AM

Same thing here.. I have read nothing but good stuff about the OWC enclousers. So I figured I you can't go wrong with that.
I ordered mine with the 750 Samsung drive from here..
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

There is also a pretty nice looking alu case in about the same size but I think the acrylic one is looking cooler.

I placed my order on wendsday last week with Express Mail International... went through customs and is on its way to my door today.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Would you guys mind posting your general level of satisfaction with your new drives after you've got them installed? Looking for some feedback since there's no response to a similar thread I posted.

Thx
UAD FW Apollo Duo (Thunderbolt Card)
PT 2021.3
Eleven Rack FW v2.00.1 / Software 1.2.14