Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Default OT: Les Paul pickup switch

Mine is sticking. Is it ok to use WD40?
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Re: OT: Les Paul pickup switch

NO, get contact cleaner. radio shack or any place like that will have some. i recomend deoxit products imparticular. it will clean it as well as lubricate it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 PM

I've used Deoxit many times before as a contact cleaner. It's great stuff!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 PM

I was enroute to a show and used
Wd40. Worked great.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelm01 View Post
I was enroute to a show and used
Wd40. Worked great.
Well Einstein now you've got a problem. You're either going to have to take the switch out and flush it out with isopropyl alcohol and then hit it with contact cleaner or replace the switch. Should have just stopped at Radio Shack and gotten some spray contact cleaner. And don't forget to clean out the cavity in your LP where the switch is.

QAPLA!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 AM

While WD40 is a good lubricant, it's not a cleaner. It may work at first because it will flush the dust/dirt away from the contact. However, WD40 also excels at attracting dust and dirt, and soon your Les Paul switch is going to get worse.

Look at it this way... this is a great opportunity to learn how to solder and replace a pickup selector switch!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Make sure the WD-40, which is specifically a penetrant as well as a lubricant, did not seep in under the plastic washer... the pickup selector one with Rhythm/Treble on it. If it did it might seep under the finish and damage it. Granted you won't see it but why ruin any part of a nice guitar?

Make sure if you buy a contact cleaner, you use the right type. It dissolves the oils and grease and flushes the dirt out by way of it's higher pressure, and then evaporates leaving no residue. The problem is that some types will remove the factory lubricant leaving totally dry pivot points and this will accelerate wear. This type is great for cleaning output jacks and circuit boards and stuff, where you want no trace of oils and residues.

In the case of the switch I think it would be best to have used the Deoxit mentioned, but perhaps their Fader Lube product. Or if the switch was dirty as well, their Cleaner Rejuvenator

I don't think the WD-40 will hurt the switch, I think it is non conductive.

Just remember there are cleaner lubricants specifically made for electronic and electro mechanical components with a guitar as valuable as a Gibson, (assuming it is a Gibby) I personally would want to use the best products.

You could also try this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

EDIT: LOL...pharmd07, I had also mentioned how the WD attracts dirt and dust and becomes a grinding paste but I removed it. Soon as I posted I saw your mention of it....nice! Yeah people use it for everything. It is best as a penetrant and once the frozen item is off it should be treated properly.

100% on replacing the worn item as all of this should be considered a temporary fix. Once stuff is worn like that, it needs replacing.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM

some good tips. i believe the proper deoxit for this is the one in the red-white-black can. not sure of the exact "version" name of it. the fader one i believe is the gold-white, and black can? i have them in a cabinet, but to lazy at the moment to go look

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Well Einstein now you've got a problem
Eat one. I did not have time to go to radio shack. I will add contact cleaner to my kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Make sure the WD-40, which is specifically a penetrant as well as a lubricant, did not seep in under the plastic washer... the pickup selector one with Rhythm/Treble on it. If it did it might seep under the finish and damage it. Granted you won't see it but why ruin any part of a nice guitar?

Make sure if you buy a contact cleaner, you use the right type. It dissolves the oils and grease and flushes the dirt out by way of it's higher pressure, and then evaporates leaving no residue. The problem is that some types will remove the factory lubricant leaving totally dry pivot points and this will accelerate wear. This type is great for cleaning output jacks and circuit boards and stuff, where you want no trace of oils and residues.

In the case of the switch I think it would be best to have used the Deoxit mentioned, but perhaps their Fader Lube product. Or if the switch was dirty as well, their Cleaner Rejuvenator

I don't think the WD-40 will hurt the switch, I think it is non conductive.

Just remember there are cleaner lubricants specifically made for electronic and electro mechanical components with a guitar as valuable as a Gibson, (assuming it is a Gibby) I personally would want to use the best products.

You could also try this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

EDIT: LOL...pharmd07, I had also mentioned how the WD attracts dirt and dust and becomes a grinding paste but I removed it. Soon as I posted I saw your mention of it....nice! Yeah people use it for everything. It is best as a penetrant and once the frozen item is off it should be treated properly.

100% on replacing the worn item as all of this should be considered a temporary fix. Once stuff is worn like that, it needs replacing.
Good advice. I needed a quick fix and my only options were white lithium or WD40. I do intend to replace the switch, I just needed a quick fix.

The component that was sticking was not external. It was in the body cavity and I had removed the switch and put a towel between it and the body.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelm01 View Post
Eat one. I did not have time to go to radio shack. I will add contact cleaner to my kit.

Good advice. I needed a quick fix and my only options were white lithium or WD40. I do intend to replace the switch, I just needed a quick fix.

The component that was sticking was not external. It was in the body cavity and I had removed the switch and put a towel between it and the body.
Lose the 'tude dude. No need to get foul.
Yet you had time to post here asking for thoughts on what you were going to do. You could have stopped while on your way to the gig at a Radio Shack - those places are everywhere. And saved yourself some aggravation.

QAPLA!