Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Why can we not record to FAT drives any more?

But even then I won't be able to record to it with it being a network volume, would I?

Brandon
Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM

no, but you could transfer back and forth

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I have saw an app for Mac that will let you write to a NTFS drive
it spoofs the drive as a network volume

I don't remember the name right now
Paragon NTFS?

Its always struck me as ironic that we are patching the dominant platform to read and write when it would make far more sense to patch the Macs to be able to write to NTFS.

I'm assuming that Paragon NTFS will not play nice with Digis proprietary disk access commands or that Paragon is not offering a volume license like Media4

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
no, but you could transfer back and forth
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, and previously could before FAT32 support was eliminated.

If you will read my thread, you will fully understand the problem and I'm trying to explain. :) The issue is simply that ProTools no longer supports FAT32, which is an issue because it is the only file system that is natively supported by both PCs and Macs.

Brandon
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM

I never saw FAT 32 work on a Mac w/ Pro Tools

I guess you will need to go iSCSI

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 PM

You must not have tried. It works great. Again, FAT or FAT32 (maybe its just FAT... I can't remember) works great natively on all major OS's. This is how most thumbdrives are formatted for that very reason.

Brandon
Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Avid

Quote:
Digidesign may have a reason other than "not many people use it", and they certainly are not obligated to share it with any of us, but I would definitely like to know.
Main reasons - OS support for it is going away, it does not support large files (which will be necessary for 64 bit support), plus a host of other features, most of which are outlined on this page.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the reply!

I still argue that most of those issues are OS related, with the only exception being error handling. However, I'm just going to have to get over it. Really and truly, I have a valid excuse for buying more harddrives that I can pitch to my wife.

Thanks again.

Brandon
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM

The reason is painfully simple, FAT32 does NOT support file transfers over 4GB. While lots of other DAW's out there support FAT32, Pro Tools does not because there is a possiblity that recording long passes will exceed this limit. Imagine if you were recording a 2 hour concert and half way through PT crashed? oops! all gone, and you blew the gig.

Get MacDrive, it ensures compatibility between HFS+ & Windows, it's the only way to have one drive work with both machines. I've been using it for my glyph's between my BOXX & Mac Pro and it works flawlessly.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
Besides not being able to install Vista on FAT32, Microsoft removed the ability to format as FAT32 in Vista. There are workarounds that do allow you to do that if you do a search for FAT32 and Vista, but it is not in the normal formatting tool in Vista. And the information here:
Comparing NTFS and FAT file systems

You are correct that Mac HFS+ support is not included with M-Powered.
What I don't know is whether or not you can add MacDrive, and use it with M-Powered to record to an HFS+ drive in Windows:
www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

You might want to ask on the M-Powered Windows forum to see if anyone is doing that.

Even if you were not able to record to an HFS+ drive in M-Powered, you would still be able to use an HFS+ drive for transfer if you had MacDrive installed on your Windows computer.
Has any of this changed? Since they discontinued FAT32 support they should make this a option for MPowered or include it with MPowered.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88