Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Default 7.2 & 7.3 \'field recorder\" alternates. Any success

I am wondering if anyone has any success using the field recorder alternates. Namely, the ability to receive omf’s from the picture department, and be able to link them to the production sound. Basically, replace titan. Has anybody been able to use this feature? Here is a link to the mention of them on digidesin’s website:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...00&itemid=4963
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...00&itemid=4949
Any success? Pointers as to it’s use
Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: 7.2 & 7.3 \'field recorder\" alternates. Any success

For starters there´s a whole dedicated manual in your documentation folder.

frank.

P.S.: I haven´t had the chance to test it yet.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: 7.2 & 7.3 \'field recorder\" alternates. Any success

Thanks Frank for posting quickly. I have read it.... my question is, anyone using it?
anyone have any success?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: 7.2 & 7.3 \'field recorder\" alternates. Any suc

No luck here either. I get an Avid Media Composer OMF that includes scene and take number in the clips and translates dead sync 23.97 16 bit 48k native into a 29.97 16 bit 48k BWF template. I hand rip a bunch of DVD production with at least the visable info in the clips and indeed there seems to be metadata in that all the basic info shows up in the region list as well. I cannot for the life of me get the OMF clips to see any of the audio that we import. It seems that the process requires some more info than I get from this workflow. I'm just coming to the end of a 22 episode run, and I hope to drill down into this issue further with the time off. Our show (Everybody Hates Chris) is switching to FCP for the next batch and I'd like to provide as much intel to the Picture dept in hopes of making this work.

Wilson Dyer mpse

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-08-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
No luck here either. I get an Avid Media Composer OMF that includes scene and take number in the clips and translates dead sync 23.97 16 bit 48k native into a 29.97 16 bit 48k BWF template. I hand rip a bunch of DVD production with at least the visable info in the clips and indeed there seems to be metadata in that all the basic info shows up in the region list as well. I cannot for the life of me get the OMF clips to see any of the audio that we import. It seems that the process requires some more info than I get from this workflow. I'm just coming to the end of a 22 episode run, and I hope to drill down into this issue further with the time off. Our show (Everybody Hates Chris) is switching to FCP for the next batch and I'd like to provide as much intel to the Picture dept in hopes of making this work.

Wilson Dyer mpse
Hey Wilson,

I'd be happy to play with you on this one when you have time.

Peter
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 AM

The funny thing is, digi seems to leave a blank spot on how to make this function; on how you can use this to replace titan…
If you read the “Field Recorder Workflows Guide”, they explain in great detail on how to shoot, record, telecine, and digitize a film or show. But nothing is said how to make the omf that the avid spits out correspond to the 4 to 8 track sound from the sound recordist in pro tools. Nothing at all. It basically ends at the avid editor exporting an omf. The 7.3 manual talks about how to import the poly bwav files, (drag and drop, it’s split out) how to use alternate tracks, but not how to use this feature.
Digidesign, please help!!!!! Are we just asking something that can’t be done? Are we missing something?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 AM

Hm. The expand-tracks functiopn IS the "titan-replacement" this will read the meta-data from the OMF-files and place the coprespondig alternate channels onto new track.

BUT: Unlike titan it´s a half-manual process.

For substituting 16bit OMF with 24bit original you import the 16-bit OMF into a 24bit session that contains your original sound from set as raw files. PT will up-res the 16bit OMF to 24bit preserving the metadata and thne you do the expand-track thing. after having donme that your result will be a session containing new tracks with all the original audio in place and then you can drop the files coming from the 16bit OMF.

This is how I understand it.

The crutial part is that some of the meta-data in the OMF and the original media have to match up so PT can find the right sounds. This is why the ingesting is so important to go correctly. If there´s no metadata in your OMF you won´t have a chance to use this feature. But then it also wouldn´t work with titan.

frank.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Frank,
That’s what I understood as well. So, let me go through the steps, as I understand them to build a dialog assembly, and tell me what I’m missing; it hasn’t worked for us!

I have track ‘OMF 1’ that I imported into protools from avid. I then bring in my corresponding bwav files by dragging them from my desktop into the regions list. (assuming they are both the same bit rate and such, for simplicity’s sake) I then select the entire track, and right-click on that track to expand to matches. (page 443 of the 7.3 manual). That’s it? That hasn’t worked this far! What am I missing?

Digi, any additions to this?!!!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Right click the Track name and select expand tracks
Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Right. that's what i've been trying. thus my reference to the manual, page 443. this doesn't work. i right click on an omf track received from the picture editor's avid.... click on expand to track... no matches... even though i know that the production sound is in the system...even though titan could make an assembly.