Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

Can I re-format my external hard drive with data is on my hard drive? I have about 229 gig of music on this 1TB drive that I don't want to lose. I didn't know @ the time that my new FAT32 drive made a difference, but now I know better.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM

no, reformatting will erase everything

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks Craig
Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Okay, I'm getting the same message.

I know it's not ideal but I just don't have money to buy a new computer. I'm running Pro Tools 8.0.1 on a 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4 with 1GB of RAM (another 1GB coming in the mail soon).

I have a brand new Mercury Elite-AL Pro mini enclosure with a brand new Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200RPM Sata drive inside.

I've reformatted, trashed database files, updated pro tools. The only other thing I can think of right now is that I'm using the drive on bus-power because I don't have a brick for it yet. Is this essential to be able to designate a drive as Record? I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy a brick.

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Thumbs down a FUKCING NIGHTMARE

Well, I just conquered this problem. This is what caused it and how I fixed it in the exact order...

• I upgraded from a G5 to a Mac Pro.
  • I used the Migration Assistant to transfer my account.
  • Pro Tools bitched about the Pace crap or whatever so I downloaded and installed that.
  • Then it cried for my Authorization Code so I spend an hour trying to figure out my "My Digi" login/email/password combination, found it but was redirected to the Avid website, where I got the code and applied it.
  • Then NI and a bunch of other plug-ins whined about not being able to find the instrument folders when they're RIGHT THERE in the Applications folder, so I had to select all those.
  • Then I go to create a New Session and Pro Tools tells me: "Session must be on an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "R" (record) in the Workspace."
  • So I go to the stupid Workspace or whatever and start trying to change the P's to R's on all 6 of my hard drive (4 internal, 2 external FireWire) and once again, Pro Tools gives me these great words of wisdom: "Macintosh HD cannot be designated as an audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume"
  • Then I download and install the Pro Tools 7.3.1cs5 update from Avid and that doesn't work.
  • So then I reinstall 7.3 from the original disk, apply the 7.3.1cs5 thingy, run the prebinding script, repair my permissions, musicians all gone home, enter my Authorization Code again and it works.
Waiting on computers, I'M WAITING TO THE DAY I DIE!

Yea, this mess is completely merited. I totally pirated Pro Tools. That's why I have the fukcing installation disks and a $3,000 dongle with crappy preamps and some faders.

Do they got a 64-bit version of this crapware yet?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

what is the story with Imac and this error?? how do I resolve it... VERY frustrated after changing from PC.
O'm running pro tools le 8 (new) with a brand new imac 27.5'' with os snow leopard? WTF is going on,,,

please help?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 AM

I have similar problem and I tried what you suggested, but it did not work. I still get DAE -9131. Maybe I should explain more what my problem is. I have a powermac G5, two internal hard drives: one for the system and protools and the other I record to. I just got another external hard, and I am trying to backup all my sessions on the external hard drive. I can save my sessions on it, but it won't play back, it gives me a DAE -9131 error code. Can you or someone help please.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:07 AM

My hard drive is already set to basic yet it still will not let me switch the hard drive from "transfer" to "playback" or "record". I got this problem after upgrading from XP to 7. I'm running V.8.0.5 on a fully updated windows 7 platform.

Tried re-formatting the drive too, no luck. Any thoughts?