Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read thi

I have a IBM PC P4, windows XP Sp 2, 3GHZ, 2GB Ram.

I just installed a new 400GB SATA HD and am experiencin the very problem you speak of. In the Workspace, when I try to change from Transfer to Playback or Record I get the folowing message " 'DRIVE' cannot be designated as an Audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume.

I reformated it (NTFS) qith quick format - no luck.

I tried a long format - also no luck.

What should I try now?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jason
[email protected]
Old 09-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

My drive is unsuitable for audio playback -- as is my external boot drive on a LaCie 250 GB -- only when I start up off the PB hard disk. When I start up off the external boot, it works fine.

My drive has been reformatted to Mac OS Extended (journaled). The LaCie partitioned drive is Extended/Journaled too.

I cannot, when I show the workspace, fix the P, T, A problem -- it won't let me tell it that the drive is in fact suitable for audio playback.

I have already wiped my hard drive once this week to fix this problem - it didn't fix. Can anyone explain to me why? anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Molly
Old 09-09-2006, 09:31 AM

I just bought a new external Western Digital 250G USB/Firewire drive and ran into the DAE error -9131 as well. I managed to get around it on a MacBook by reformatting the drive.

Turns out, it matters which format option you choose when you erase/format the disk. The first time (and when I got the error) I set it to "Mac OS Extended (case sensitive)". PTs had the volume marked as "R" for both audio and video, but it generated the error.

When I re-formatted and chose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", the volume was still marked as "R" in both options, but now my imported audio files would play.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this helps.

dave
Old 09-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read thi

Hi,
I tried the above Workplace suggestion along with reformatting my 250 gb Acom Data firewire drive (sucky drive) but I still get the same "not an audio playback/recording volume" message. Only last week however, I was able to achieve playback from the same drive, but for some reason today I had this problem.

I was curious though, is it because I am running LE 7.1.1 on a new MacPro (desktop) OS 10.4.7 platform?

Are the MacPros not compatible with Pro Tools LE yet, just the MacBook Pros? If this is the case, why was I able to achieve playback before?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DMK
Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 AM

I just bought a mac Mini everything seems to be running good my only problem as of now I am running my Lacie D2 hard drive to the Mac via USB due to the Mac Mini only having 1 firewire input and everytime I boucne a session the bounce keeps stoping and giving me a message: Cant get audio from drive fast enough.. something about the bandwidth or CPU load ( -9073 )

do I have to get a firewire hub or is there another way to daisy chain or somthing..Help!!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 AM

I'm not 100% sure this works, but it's worth a shot (make sure you can take the drive back if it doesn't). You could try a Glyph GT050 which would act as a bridge as well as a drive.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Hi,
I'm a Powerbook G4 user running PT Le 7.1 on OSX 10.4.8 and I decided to set a RAID 1 configuration.
A mirror image was then created but uncapable of playing back or record whatsoever.
Although I had a closer look for the whole forum, tried several options, from un-mounting the RAID set config and format my HDs; Lacie HD FW800 and Western Digital USB( which each one of them play and record perfectly well as individual ones) set a new RAID config, went in the workspace, tried to change to record... nop, no success!
Any thoughts?

What else should I try?

I'm also a Logic Pro user and the config works just fine, I can rec/play and do whatever I need...but not in my beloved PT

Thank you for your time

Pedro
Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Sorry, no raid.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=23140

"Hard Drive Requirements

...Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives..."
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 AM

I've tried changing my external HD firewire drive from 'T' to 'R' and it keeps giving me the same error message that the drive "cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio volume."

I've been working on a 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac running Mac OS 10.4.9 and Pro Tools 7.0 for the past 8 months or so and it never gave me any problems. Now all of a sudden, NOTHING works!!

The external drive is a StorCase Rhino Jr. Firewire 800 (250GB capacity)

I've checked the drive and it seems to be formated correctly (Mac OS extended [journaled])

Is reformatting the external drive worth my while? I've read some posts in here from people who tried just that and it didn't make a difference...
Old 08-25-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm running 6.9.2 on a G4 (OS 10.4.10) and my firewire drive works great. I tried installing the same PT 6.9.2 on my new Macbook Pro also 10.4.10 and I am getting the error

"The drive cannot be designated as an Audio playback/recording volume because this is not a valid audio volume in Pro Tools on OS X."

I tried all the stuff on the digidesign page (and that I've found on here) and I am unable to change the A column to R.

My external drive runs fine on the G4 but not on the Macbook the fact that they have the same OS.

I've tried changing T to R. It won't go.
I've tried trashing the preferences and user files (occasionally needed even on the G4).
I've tried reformating/renaming the drive.
I've tried a sacrifice to the pro tools gods and nothings seems to work.

I thought maybe there was a problem with a drive but it still works fine on the g4, just not on the MacBook Pro.

Any ideas?

The drive is a Maxtor 400 speed 80GB firewire drive. Formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).