Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read thi

The solution is to boot your new mac from an external firewire drive, on which you can havepanther OS installed.Then you can clone your external drive to the internal one. You can use Carbon copy cloner for that, and it works.

Unquote.

This can not be done - I have tried but either the firmware or the hardware will not allow booting from Panther.

I specifiaclly went out today and bought a copy of Panther to do just this. I tried to load Panther onto an external firewire HD and there is no option to do this. So then I loaded Tiger onto the external HD and rebooted. This then allowed me to reformat the internal HD so there was no Operating system on it in any shape or form.
Then I disconnected the External HD - put in the Panter installation disk 1 and it tells me to reboot. When you do the MAC crashes with a "Panic" message and hangs the system.

I do blame both Apple and Digidesign. I have spent £4k ($7.6K)on a system that I was told would work seamlessly and was the industry standard. Instead I have a pile of junk that is less use than a chocolate fireguard.

I can accept that things will get better but can you compensate me for the demo CD I am supposed to record in 2 weeks. Will Appple or Digidesign compensate me for the loss of income?
Have Digidesign ever given any more specific information about the patch for Tiger other than 8 - 10 weeks?

My final solution is to return to the system that I previosly considered which is a PC running Cubase SX connected to a MOTU. Maybe not industry standard but at least it works. Unfortunately the band I have signed up ready to go need the recording in Pro Tools so I cannot use that for this band but let other potential purchasers be aware that there are plausiable options to a chocolate fireguard.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:33 PM

You can't run the panther installer on a new mac generation. What you have got to do is to install the system on an external drive from a panther compatible mac, or clone an existing one. After that, connecting your installed external drive on your new mac, you'll be able to boot on it with the Alt-key on startup.

(seems to be that it only works with 10.3.8 or 10.3.9 version. take care of updating it before plugging it to your new mac).

When you 're sure it works, then use carbon copy to clone your external drive to the internal one.

Best regards,

Jerome
Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 AM

Ok - Now I know how you came by your screen name!
Firstly I want to say a really big THANK YOU to Doctor Sunshine.

For the benifit of other users I have listed a detailed description of how to cure the problem.

1. Borrow another MAC which has Panther
2. Load a new copy of Panther onto an external HD by inserting the installation CD into the borrowed MAC and setting the destination drive to the external HD.
3. Boot up by holding the ALT key whilst powering up to choose to boot from the external drive.
4. Then update to 10.3.9 using software update from the Apple menu on the borrowed MAC.
5. Remove the external HD and connect to your new MAC.
6. Power up with the Alt key down again to boot from the external HD on the new MAC and install Protools onto the external drive.
7: It should now work, the external drive will be your system drive, holding OSX (10.3.9) and Pro Tools & the internal HD will be your audio Drive. Remember to hold ALT every time you power up so you can boot from the external HD, this should do at least till the tiger update is available...Good Luck!

If anyone wants more detailed info on what we did send us a private message and we will contact you off list.

I am still very disappointed with the response from Digidesign - basiclly all they have told us is that they have not received our faxed registration and that they told us it would not work and that we should wait for the Tiger update.

It would not have taken them much effort to post the above information somewhere so all their new customers would not find themselves in the extremely frustrating position that we found ourselves in.

The fact remains that you cannot buy a new MAC with anything other than Tiger so if anyone is considering buying a new Digi system and they do not have access to an old MAC ..... DONT DO IT.
Wait 12 - 16 weeks for the patch to be released and sorted before you part with your money.

Jerome I owe you a beer at the very least.

Pete
Old 10-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

You mean OSX extended or OSX extended( journaled)
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Is it possible to use a FAT32 formatted disk as an audio volume? It works fine on a PC. What's with Mac?

It's a 200 GB Rocstor A/V 800 drive if that makes a difference.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Is it possible to use a FAT32 formatted disk as an audio volume? It works fine on a PC. What's with Mac?

It's a 200 GB Rocstor A/V 800 drive if that makes a difference.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Is there anyway to do this running ProTools 5.3.2 under MacOS 9.2.2? The "Show Workspace" command is not an option?

Essentially, I am trying to run my 002 on an older G4 and use a Firewire HD. I can play from it, mix from it, even process tracks using AudioSuite plugins to it, but I can't seem to actually record to it. So I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas you have would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-28-2006, 07:45 PM

What external harddrives are compatible with pro tools LE 6.7 on a windows xp setup?
I was lead to beleive that because I am using a 2.0 usb hub that my options were more open. I need some advice.
joe gingles
Old 02-19-2006, 05:45 AM

i have done this, and have not been succesful, i have several drives and protools 7 only wants me to use my system drive as an audio record/playback drive. are there any more solutions for win xp pro? i am using a SATA1, SATA2, and a PATA drive and it will allow one partition on the SATA2 drive to be used.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:44 PM

Brand new LaCie D2 250 GB, erased and re-formatted Mac OS Extended before doing anything else to the disk, comes up as type "R" in the workspace window. I am relieved because of the posts to this board I had feared I would not be able to get it to work. For this model, formating before doing anything else, success.

I hope to be able to take projects from this disk to the Intel Mac I plan to purchase this summer (and of course hope PT LE runs on Intel Mac by that time).

PTLE 7.1, Mac OS X 10.4.5