Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 04-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Avid

Default Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

If you are receiving any errors regarding drives not being suitable for playback or not being an audio record volume, try the following:

In Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and select 'Show Workspace'. In the Workspace window you will see a list of your drives on the left and to the right of each drive will be an 'A'(for Audio) and a 'V'(for Video) column. Under the 'A' column next to your drive it will probably have a 'T'(for Transfer) or 'P'(for Playback) - click on the 'T' or 'P' and, from the drop down list, choose 'Record'.

You should now be able to open, play and record in your session as normal.

If you're drive will not change to a Record volume, you may need to reformat the drive.

On Mac OSX - use the Disk Utility to reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended.

On WinXP - Right click on the drive in the browser and select 'Format'. File system should be NTFS and you can use the quick format option. All other settings can remain at their defaults.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

Does this apply to SNS SAN AV systems also, and before I move a whole project off of these drives, can you assure me that reformatting them will solve my problem.
Why is my DUC log-in not recognized by the MAC OS TDM forum and recognized on the other forums?
I have a serious problem that I need to fix!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Avid

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read thi

SAN drives are not tested or qualified for use with Pro Tools.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:04 AM

I assume reformatting the drive in OSX will require reloading the operating system?
Is this correct?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:54 AM

Okay - I now have a external firewire 250Gb drive which I have formatted as mentioned above but still I am not able to change the drive to an audio volume!
I am running on TIGER with PT6.9 but everything else seems to work OK except setting an Audio Volume on a drive.

Anyone got any ideas?

Pete
Old 05-21-2005, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Okay - I now have a external firewire 250Gb drive which I have formatted as mentioned above but still I am not able to change the drive to an audio volume!
I am running on TIGER with PT6.9 but everything else seems to work OK except setting an Audio Volume on a drive.

Anyone got any ideas?

Pete
Yes , i just see a little problem : TIGER !!

Pro tools can't run for the moment on TIGER . Wait for the update.

Best regards,

jerome
Old 05-21-2005, 11:16 AM

OK OK I now know that I was wrong to buy a new MAC!!!!

I have just spent around £4000 on a system that does not work and all I hear from Digi is "we told you so"......
But the "told you so" was in small print buried in a locked cupboards protected by Panthers (pun intended).

So I have to wait until Digi can be bothered to release the patch for Tiger - no news about how that is coming along I notice.

Sad thing is I installed Pro Tools on a borrowed Dell PC and it works - even with office etc etc loaded. Kinda makes me think I should ditch the MAC and go Windows XP.

A dis-allusioned new Digi customer
Old 05-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
OK OK I now know that I was wrong to buy a new MAC!!!!

I have just spent around £4000 on a system that does not work and all I hear from Digi is "we told you so"......
But the "told you so" was in small print buried in a locked cupboards protected by Panthers (pun intended).

So I have to wait until Digi can be bothered to release the patch for Tiger - no news about how that is coming along I notice.

Sad thing is I installed Pro Tools on a borrowed Dell PC and it works - even with office etc etc loaded. Kinda makes me think I should ditch the MAC and go Windows XP.

A dis-allusioned new Digi customer
if you have a look on the mac section of this forum, you'll see there are some guys who were able to install panther on their new G5.... just make a search about it, there is a solution.

Jerome
Old 05-22-2005, 06:24 AM

WARNING to anyone thinking of buying a new Digi system with a new MAC - DON'T DO IT until the update for Tiger is out.

I have just bought OSX 10.3 to load onto my new Powerbook and it won't allow you to load an older operating system. I even reformatted the hard drive so there was nothing on it and the installation crashes before it gets close to loading.

I guess I have no choice but to turn down the work I have lined up whilst I sit back and sit my finger up my **** whilst I wait for the Tiger update to be released.

I know (well hope) that in 6 months I will have a working system but right now I am really angry with both Digidesign and Apple. I cannot get a new MAC from Apple with Panther and I cannot get working software from Digidesign so my advise is NOBODY buy anything from Digidesign until they release the update or you won't be able to use it!.

Right Rant over I m going to borrow a PC and use that instead! (at least it works of sorts!)
Old 05-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
WARNING to anyone thinking of buying a new Digi system with a new MAC - DON'T DO IT until the update for Tiger is out.

I have just bought OSX 10.3 to load onto my new Powerbook and it won't allow you to load an older operating system. I even reformatted the hard drive so there was nothing on it and the installation crashes before it gets close to loading.

I guess I have no choice but to turn down the work I have lined up whilst I sit back and sit my finger up my **** whilst I wait for the Tiger update to be released.

I know (well hope) that in 6 months I will have a working system but right now I am really angry with both Digidesign and Apple. I cannot get a new MAC from Apple with Panther and I cannot get working software from Digidesign so my advise is NOBODY buy anything from Digidesign until they release the update or you won't be able to use it!.

Right Rant over I m going to borrow a PC and use that instead! (at least it works of sorts!)
The solution is to boot your new mac from an external firewire drive, on which you can have panther OS installed.Then you can clone your external drive to the internal one. You can use Carbon copy cloner for that, and it works.

You can't blame digidesign for being late to have a tiger-compatible software, as they receive their new macs the same day as they become avaiable on the apple store, that is to say the same day as averyone can buy it. How do you want them to release a new pro tools software two days later ?
According to me , apple is to blame, since they prevent to install a compatible and working os on the news macs, and so it's a just a limitation in a marketing purpose.

Jerome