Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Which External Hard Drive to Record with Pro Tools (Lacie, G-tech, OWC?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac30fan View Post
Would you guys mind posting your general level of satisfaction with your new drives after you've got them installed? Looking for some feedback since there's no response to a similar thread I posted.

Thx
Have just done some testing and believe it or not, Im having some issues with my Mercury On the Go! Don't know whats causing my -9073 errors since my whole system is updated. (New Mac, new 11r etc..) So I really have little to compare with since my last setup was completely different.

Woldn't wanna say that there is something wrong with the drive itself. It seems to be working just fine but my sessions plays far from flawlessly!

I have done everything right I guess so it kind makes me wonder what the hell is going on. Avid approved firewire chipset, approved Macbook, 11r interface (from Avid of which you manually have to import the I/O settings from every new session you create. But thats another story. Just extremely wierd that they don't have a fix for this on one of their own interfaces).

Im a bit frustrated since having alot of work ahead...

You can see my thread here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=302156

Hoping someone from Avid will get in touch.

I'll report back!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Which External Hard Drive to Record with Pro Tools (Lacie, G-tech, OWC?)

Did some more testing...

I had to finish a session with a short deadline so the further I got in to the mixing part the more DAE 9073 and sudden crashes was going on. More strain on the cpu -> more errors!

My cpu only reached about 25% but at that time is was impossible to work.

I simply moved my whole session to my internal 5400rpm drive and that solved it! My initial guess is the lack of external power supply for the OTG.

So if you are thinking about OWC, go for the ALU Pro which is approved by Avid. I ordered one just now and am crossing my fingers for it work better.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM

I bought a power supply today and the on-the-go is working just fine. Will do some more testing but it seems ok.
The heavier the session the more strain on the Cpu so I guess there was not enough bus power left after maxing out with plugins.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Don't get the acrylic one. It's a piece of ****. Screws strip. Stick with OWC aluminum. Here is the link for Dulce Systems (hardware raid is ok, but spanning should be turned off, and if using PTs round robin, turn raid off). http://www.dulcesystems.com/html/products.html (don't know why B&H stopped carrying this brand, they now only sell CalDigit). Anyway B&H doesn't ship overseas and OWC does.

I've been using Firewire since the Oxford 911 chipset came out. IOWs 1.5 amps @ 5 volts (these are the 110/220 volt rectangular power supplies not the infamous wall wart) on the original aluminum OWC enclosure -- some of the newer OWC units have a direct AC input. (sorry 'bout my blurry vision it' mixed in with a ton of spaghetti) not .7 amps but 1.5 amps is suitable with the older and faster (more heat) WD drive I use frequently. The newer ones are above 7 in seek times, closer to 9, but require less power/produce less heat.

For location work I intend on using a 5,400 buss 1394a powered unit (the latest Seagate which I think may still be vs 12, but not sure as I only know about the 3.5 inch 7,200 rpm versions). Only need 4-7 channels at 48k. Vrs 12 Barracudas are low noise, low heat from my experience. Only buy from a reputable dealer if not in the retail box.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:40 AM

Oua this is an old post but the OWC i ordered worked great.
but now i use mainly a Western digital Usb powered drive. works like a charm !!

M
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM

To clarify, OWC just make enclosures, not the drives themselves, they'll sell whatever brand they choose.

I got the OWC thunderbay IV, a 4 bay thunderbolt interface.
It shipped with 7200rpm toshiba brand drives.

My personal experience is it's awesome. I have one at work and one at home personally. It's fast, quiet and so far reliable.

Much less expensive than some competitor options.

Note: Drive arrays are done as software arrays, there is no hardware array manager in their enclosures.

Awesome product, would recommend it.
Good luck in your choice.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Right. Important point.

List of current hard disk drive manufacturers:
Seagate Technology including its subsidiary brands Maxtor and Samsung.
Toshiba.
Western Digital including its subsidiary brand HGST.

Subject to change!

OWC, Glyph and Lacie don't make drives they make enclosures. So you can buy the drive you like and buy an enclosure from say OWC.

I like the WD Black and Hitachi drives.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Map of hard drive consolidation
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.