Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Default Safest way to Backup sessions?

During the recording process, I often copy sessions from my FW hard drive to a macbook. I usually do not change much, but several times I've "lost" files. Pro tools asks to relink. Usually just fades, no big deal.

I'm now planning to back up an albums worth of sessions to a different FW hard drive.

What is the safest, most accurate, most secure way to copy the sessions exactly as they are and not have to relink or search for any files when I return to these sessions?

thanks.

System Details Mac Mini Core 2 duo, 2gb Ram> Glyph 250gb firewire HD
003 Rack, Focusrite Octopre>OSx.4.10, Pro Tools LE 7.3
Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: Safest way to Backup sessions?

Use 'Save Session Copy In' and choose to copy all audio files. This will gather up all the audio used in the session and save it to the new location.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Hi

If you want to do a daily backup you should try silverkeeper. It's a freeware from lacie. you can download it from versiontracker. It will compare folders and will update the back up on on the changes you made that day.

Rafi
Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Hello,

Regarding pro tools 11....

I use 3 manual backup drives: two at home and one in the safe deposit box in case of fire or theft.

If I use "save session copy" and save it to my G: backup drive1, can I then copy the entire session folder on my G: backup drive1 and "manually" paste it into my two other backup drives and not be required to have to relink files... or do I have to keep using "save session copy" for every backup and secondary backup drive that I use?

It would get a bit cumbersome having to open up pro tools11 each time I wanted to save a backup copy to multiple drives in the case I forgot to backup my last session. Also I use nova backup to ensure all drives are mirror copies which I run at night as I have a lot a other video data and files... appx 2 tb of personal data.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Hello,

I found that the best way for me to backup my Pro Tools 11 session is to go the the session folder and copy the entire folder for that song to any drive I want to back it up on. This has all the necessary files you need to bring it back to your session directory and reopen it.

A note of CAUTION!!!!!

I use Battery 4: It's best to have all the samples you use for your drum set on a particular song, located inside the specific session folder for that song so that if you back up (by copying) your session to another drive and then bring it back, Battery 4 can find the exact wav files for the drum set. Trust me.... it will prevent you from losing a perfect kit. These are lessons you sometimes learn the hard way.

Thanks.