Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2004, 03:28 PM

Default connecting mini disc to mbox

looking for help. New to the mBox. I have connected my portable sony minidisc to my Mbox using the source one and source two inputs. I believe I have connected it correctly. I made some test recordings but the levels were so low that I couldn't get a very good recording.

I adjusted the gain manually with the knobs on the front of the mbox but had hissing sounds if I went to high. The level of recording still wasn't that strong. I tryed a few different mini discs to see if I had a low level recording. The result was the same for all the different disc.

Is there something I'm missing, some way to up the gain in the program. The old pro tools I had I was able to go into the hardware adjustments and change the gain that way. Any help woud be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: connecting mini disc to mbox

Have you tried switching the source switches to line.Those are the white buttons just above the 1 and 2 numbers on the front of the Mbox.The LED should be lit above the word line.

There may not be enough level but if you haven't tried that it's worth a shot.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:46 PM

The source was set on line for the recording. It may be something other than that. thanks for the reply.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:52 PM

Are you using the 1/4" jacks in the middle of the XLR's..I'm sure you are, but just in case you are using the insert jacks I thought I'd ask..If everything is hooked up correctly and you still don't have enough signal you will probably need a preamp.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:37 PM

What output from the MiniDisc are you using? If it's the headphone output, your headphone volume might be too low. Does your MD player have a line output?
512MB RAM
Mac OS X 10.2.8
160GB LaCie FW drive
Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 AM

As i'm thinking more about this I have my suspicions about the headphone out jack. I don't have a direct line out on this mini disc. However, as I said in my old pro tools I could adjust gain in the program. I made many recordings from a portable CD player using the headphone line out jack. If this is the case how can I amp my mini dics up? what kind of pre amp set up could work with out investing big $$? I'm trying to convert music that is only stored on mini disc into pro tools so I can bounce them on to CD now and get rid of the mini all together. Thanks for your post and any suggestions.