Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 03-12-2015, 04:39 PM

Default Re: 8 input set up with HD Native

No you would not "get 10 preamps", as already mentioned in this thread the Omni is an 8x8 interface, if you configure it to use all 8 ADAT inputs you are disabling the two preamps. If you own an Omni and have serious questions about all this stuff, it's time to read the Omni User Guide...
Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No you would not "get 10 preamps", as already mentioned in this thread the Omni is an 8x8 interface, if you configure it to use all 8 ADAT inputs you are disabling the two preamps. If you own an Omni and have serious questions about all this stuff, it's time to read the Omni User Guide...
Touché. I did not know that, and should have read the entire thread instead of just the post I was responding to.

I do not own an omni, I searched the forum for someone asking about the XL48, so I could relate my experience.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I do not own an omni, I searched the forum for someone asking about the XL48, so I could relate my experience.
I assume by your signature you are using the XL48 with an RME card. Is that correct?

If so, how is the latency when monitoring? I'm particularly interested in what it's like when recording vocals.

I've pretty much decided on the XL48 but I'm still figuring out whether to get an HD Native card and Omni (maybe a 192 instead) or an RME card.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
I assume by your signature you are using the XL48 with an RME card. Is that correct?

If so, how is the latency when monitoring? I'm particularly interested in what it's like when recording vocals.

I've pretty much decided on the XL48 but I'm still figuring out whether to get an HD Native card and Omni (maybe a 192 instead) or an RME card.
Monitoring the inputs through the RME card is near-zero latency, but must be managed through the TotalMix application.

Much like other third-party interfaces, you have your choice between low latency monitoring through the driver or higher latency through Pro Tools. Monitoring through Pro Tools at a 64-sample buffer is close enough to zero that I can't really tell the difference, but your drummer might. HD Native wins the latency competition overall, and if price were not a factor then I would be using HD Native right now.

Let me emphasize that the XL48 fan makes noise, and while replacing the fan is easy and inexpensive (the Noctua 40mm fan was $16 and took 20 minutes to install and reassemble) you probably void the warranty by doing so. Installation involves cutting open a plastic "cage" that houses the power supply, and fitting the low noise adapter in there is a bit fussy. When that's done, it's inaudible as long as your rack is full - faceplates blocking the front of it and all. Again, my choice for RME and Midas was made for cost concerns, I determined this combo to be the best band:buck ratio for my use. Also because I use PC and my mobile rig has a <$1K laptop, so no PCIe or Thunderbolt for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM

I have the XL48 in my rig and never noticed any fan noise. Wonder if its early vs later or maybe you just got a bad fan?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have the XL48 in my rig and never noticed any fan noise. Wonder if its early vs later or maybe you just got a bad fan?
The fan was fine, I think it is just noisier than I like, and set at a higher voltage than is necessary. Maybe the earlier units have a different arrangement?

I have always had good results with Noctua products, relatively high airflow CFM at low noise levels. I did use a "low noise adapter" that came with the fan, basically just an extension cable that has an inline resistor. Now I don't hear the fan at all. Temperature delta still around 10 degrees (30 or so degrees C in a 20-degree room) so it's working well.

Normally the fan noise on a mobile rig would be a moot point, but this is part of my new "modular" setup that lives in my studio and, after disconnecting three cables, goes on the road with me. So it will spend a large amount of time in an otherwise quiet environment.

EDIT: I really did not intend to hijack the thread, sorry.