Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Oh and Russ for the win.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...other-daw.html
Old 10-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Agreed CME,

I was up in arms during the CPTK / 11 debacle.

Even then, when they reduced the upgrade price to $599 I still didn't upgrade due to slow AAX 64 development.

Now this has rolled round and I'm just tired and bored of it.

I really don't NEED to upgrade, and my work isn't going to stop getting done if I don't....

But when I look at the official avid upgrade web page and I see the upgrade price of $599 with a savings column next to it, with a sodding 0 in it ....

Then I think of the poor saps who own HD 11 already and that they have to pay the upgrade price again for cover....

And then I realise this is in perpetuity....

I can't help but think they're intentionally screwing over their biggest investors...

That's when I finally lose my lethargy and say f*ck it,
I'm going to ensure this company gets no more of my money.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:53 PM

i just paid for the 10HD --> 11HD upgrade literally yesterday, from Sweetwater.

have i purchased the support plan? or will Avid be expecting another $599 from me?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't see the point in trying to boycott and change things. They have given in before with the CPTK. I still feel that was planned.

"We'll first announce $999 and and if there's no uproar we make more $$$, if they do we can drop the price and look like heroes."

Then there's the whole pro control/ control 24 debacle, that they haven't relented on.

At this point I really don't care if they do change. About the only thing that would entice me to hang around is for them to drop the whole HD/Vanilla scheme and make one unified version where we all have the same features. While making the support plan a unified $199 or less per year, and allow us to pay for said plan when/if the features they add are worth it to the end user. Short of that I am moving on.

At a certain point you realize in some relationships you are being used, and that will never change no matter what the other party promises. They just can't help themselves. It's that point you've got to let go. I still wish avid and anyone that is still using it the best. But I won't be used anymore.
I had written a long post, but CME's post above sums it up better. VERY sad day for me, like a friend turning their back on you.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
i just paid for the 10HD --> 11HD upgrade literally yesterday, from Sweetwater.

have i purchased the support plan? or will Avid be expecting another $599 from me?

if the latter, this will likely be the end of my Pro Tools days. Logic can't be that hard to learn.
No you have not purchased a support plan. Literally yesterday? You got (accidentally) ripped off. Avid had already announced all this then and suspended sales of this on their own company store. Call Sweetwater and ask for you money back or ask if they can make you whole -- they are a great company and expect they will look after you.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 PM

Well crap then I just made the same Sweetwater mistake. And I've dealt with one guy for the last 14 years. Just did the upgrade to hd10/11. So in a few months I will have to cough up another $600 to get any bug fixes etc?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
Well crap then I just made the same Sweetwater mistake. And I've dealt with one guy for the last 14 years. Just did the upgrade to hd10/11. So in a few months I will have to cough up another $600 to get any bug fixes etc?
Call Sweetwater. Complaining here won't help you. Likely Sweetwater and sales reps there had no clue what mess Avid was about to drop on them. After all look at the incompetent way Avid handled announcing all this. I'd be pretty surprised if they sent out notices/explanation to the channel in advance, asked them to hold sales, etc. you know the kind of stuff that competent marketing organizations might do.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 PM

To be clear though, I paid $599 for the PT9HD -- PT11HD upgrade. Not the $999 it was a few days before. On the SW site, its touted as a special price drop and that's all.

"Upgrade to Pro Tools HD 11 and Save! From October 10 through December 20, 2014, purchase Avid Pro Tools HD 11 Upgrade from Pro Tools HD 9 (download) from Sweetwater and enjoy $400 Instant Savings"

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this now. I would expect to pay some $$$ to move to PT12, after all it's just the state of things. I didn't want to pay $999 though, as I was on the fence about hardware. The $600 I can deal with for now. But I was under the impression I was covered now for the 15 months or whatever it is. If Avid says I have to pay $600 in November or something to get PT 11.3, I'll lose my mind.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 PM

Based on the date, I would assume you did not buy support/next version upgrade. But call Sweetwater and ask. "instant savings", but no mention of support/upgrades etc.

e.g. from Avid's Press Release...

"Pricing and Availability

Starting November 2014:

...Owners of Pro Tools | HD 9 or Pro Tools | HD 10, or Pro Tools 9 or 10 with the Complete Production Toolkit, can upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 11^ for only $599 and receive standard Avid Support through March 31, 2016."

Maybe you might get lucky if Avid backdates you into this, but I'd not hold your breath. I'd expect Sweetwater to care more about looking after you.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:17 PM

So I'm trying my damndest to be optimistic and not panicky about this. But if I just got hosed, I'm seriously hurt here.

Been using PT since 97. HD since 2002. Sweetwater since 1996. They have a lot of my money. I would've waited 2 weeks.

I didn't register the upgrade yet. Can I still get my money back?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Closed Thread