Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-15-2003, 06:37 AM

Default Will the core audio driver enable audio units ?

Or is audio units a total different story ?
Which will not be supported by protools ?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Will the core audio driver enable audio units ?

Hello. Yes Core Audio and Audio Units are two separate things. Think of Core Audio as input/output and Audio Units as plug ins. Sort of the way ASIO lets you open a piece of software on any compatible hardware and access its input and output (Core Audio), and VST is a plug in format (Audio Units). For more info check this Apple page.

Apple info

Core Audio drivers are scheduled to be released by the end of March. This will allow you to open any compatible software with your Digidesign hardware, as well as being the main sound device on your Control Panel (CD's, web sounds, etc.). Audio Units is a plug in format. There is much debate, rumor and uncertainty about this. Digidesign has not released an official word on it. It appears from what little info we can gather that Digidesign will not support Audio Units. It seems that they are banking on Rewire2, TDM, HTDM and RTAS. This will all play by the end of the year I guess.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:53 AM

To complete, Froyos info:
Digidesign has said officially that Audio Units will not be supported under Pro Tools since they use DAE for processing, and that they'll stick to DAE. So you'll need Logic Audio if you want AUs.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:21 PM

Hello. J. Guerrero where does Digidesign officially say this? I must have missed it!
Old 03-16-2003, 02:01 AM

Thanks for yer answers..
It's not i'm looking for AU in particular, i'm looking for a way to use my upcoming reaktor 4 upgrade which -at first-
will not be connectable to PT.
NI leaves me -and others- in the dark about the release date of the rtas support.
So i've been looking for the micro version of logic, but that seems to be discontinued as well, or i just can't navigate the emagic site