Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-23-2020, 01:41 AM

Default TC System 6000 help needed

Sorry for OT but I think this is a place where I can get what I need.
Is anybody of you working with a 6000 MK2 mainframe and the icon CPU MK1 and still have the icon.cab firmware available?
Old 04-24-2020, 05:10 AM

Default Re: TC System 6000 help needed

Hi Wolfgang,

I believe you can download firmware from TC Electronic here:
https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categor...ogtrans(en|en)

Last year I downloaded their firmware app to update software of a MkII mainframe with original black icon. The app installed versions appropriate for the hardware:
TC Icon: 7.5.00
Frame: 6.50
DSP: 6.50
Ethernet SW: 8.10

I hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Yes this works if you have a black icon but with an remote CPU MK2 then you can do the upgrade but if you have CPU MK1 with the wrong firmware the MK2 mainframe is not seen by the remote CPU and there is no way to go around it.
I have to upgrade my remote CPU MK1 to a certain firmware without the icon.app that it works with the mainframe MK2 together.
Therefore I need the 7.5 icon.cab file to do so.
The icon makes no difference cause there is no MK2 except the other color for the housing.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:43 AM

Have you started a support ticket with MusicTribe? I believe you can request one through the same TC Electronic website. They can be a little bit slow but at least there is still support for Sys6k.

Forgive me if I am repeating things you already know and have checked. You have 3 hardware units, 1.mainframe, 2.remoteCPU, 3.wired remote. Does the RemoteCPU communicate with the wired remote? If graphics appear on the wired remote then the answer is yes. Separately, does the downloadable software app on your computer control the mkII mainframe (with or without remoteCPU)?

I sold my system and have forgotten much. I am thinking the mainframe and the RemoteCPU+wired remote can communicate even if software versions are different since RemoteCPU software update was always handled through the mainframe (even in old days when using floppy disks). The mainframe and RemoteCPU are both network devices and must have unique IP addresses, and probably should be on the same subnet (mask 255.255.255.0). Use crossed LAN cable wiring when connecting mainframe directly to remoteCPU, or regular network cables when both plugged into a standard network switch. You should be able to ping both the mainframe and the remoteCPU, no matter what versions of software are installed.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Have you started a support ticket with MusicTribe? I believe you can request one through the same TC Electronic website. They can be a little bit slow but at least there is still support for Sys6k.
The only answers I got from them are prepared answers, phrases. Trained monkeys!

Quote:
Forgive me if I am repeating things you already know and have checked.
No problem. Always good to check twice.

Quote:
You have 3 hardware units, 1.mainframe, 2.remoteCPU, 3.wired remote. Does the RemoteCPU communicate with the wired remote?
Yes. No problem cause the black and the silver icon works with MK1 and MK2 CPUs.

Quote:
Separately, does the downloadable software app on your computer control the mkII mainframe (with or without remoteCPU)?
Yes, it does. That's the only way to communicate with my mainframe right now.

Quote:
I am thinking the mainframe and the RemoteCPU+wired remote can communicate even if software versions are different since RemoteCPU software update was always handled through the mainframe (even in old days when using floppy disks).
This behaviour changed since version MK2 with the mainframe and remote CPU.
A MK1 remote CPU can only see a MK2 mainframe if it has a certain firmware (and vice versa). So you are not able to update a MK1 CPU through a MK2 mainframe if the CPU has not the right firmware.
It just can be done with a shared folder from a host PC.
And therefore you need the icon.cab file for updating the firmware (like in older days). But this file is not available from the MusicTribe web site, just icon.app files which doesn't work in this case.
The original TC web site is not available anymore.

Quote:
You should be able to ping both the mainframe and the remoteCPU, no matter what versions of software are installed.
I can ping both but without the right icon.cab file it doesn't mean anything.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:03 PM

I have found an Icon.cab file on a floppy disk but I think there is no chance it is a recent enough version to do what you want to do. Since it is on 3.5 inch floppy disk I am sure it was last used with my previous mkI mainframe, before being upgraded to mkII. I have opened the disk on an old Kurzweil sampler but have no easy way to read the file or version #. I have verfied the file is still readable, at least. If you are desperate to try, I may have a computer with a SCSI connector on its motherboard, maybe, so the floppy drive could be mounted to it. Then I could copy the file for you. Maybe I could just send you the disk.

I actually had very good experience with Music Tribe US support. After battery failure on my mkII, all license codes were lost including the mainframe, Unwrape, LM6, Backdrop, etc. It took many days with support but the codes were finally obtained from Denmark. I sold the system since then.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:42 AM

Hi Postman
Thanks, you got a PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:43 AM

Hmm, perhaps you did not receive my PM reply yesterday?

I am unable to retrieve the file without help or adapter purchase. One solution would be if anyone living near me in western New York state or eastern Pennsylvania has a 3.5 inch floppy drive that can copy the file onto a USB stick, I would visit them (with proper virus attire) and then send the file to you. Another option is to purchase an adapter for my ancient FDO floppy drive to USB, which requires waiting for it to ship from China. Have you exhausted your inquiry to TC Electronic/Music Tribe? They should have the best resources to help if you can convince them to try!
Old 04-30-2020, 05:31 AM

Hello DUC, is anyone near me who might be able to help? Please read my previous post for details. Any help with a SCSI cable or floppy drive will be appreciated.

Last night my neighbor lent me a USB floppy drive. As luck would dictate it does not work so I am back at square one trying to help.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:24 AM

Hi Wolfgang!

I think I have the same architecture of system 6000 like you described - main frame MKII (upgraded form MKI in 2012) and remote cpu MKI (black) with black TC icon remote control. Before hardware upgrade I did the last SW update in 2011:

TC Icon SW Version: 5.04
Frame SW Version: 4.02
DSP SW Version: 4.02
Ethernet SW Version: 6.0

When I received mainframe unit from TC after hardware upgrade it was SW updated to the latest version at the time:

Frame SW Version: 5.11
DSP SW Version: 5.11
Ethernet SW Version: 8.10

TC icon was updated first time I connected units together to version 6.20 without any problem from mainframe.
And I still use the device with this software today.
If I can help in any way, I can send to you a TC Icon.cab version 5.04 copied from floppy disk, this version was like I said the last one before upgraded mainframe to MKII.
I have also two previous versions of TC icon.cab files. (see the attached picture).

Best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210413_180506.jpg (39.8 KB, 0 views)