Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins

Old 03-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Best Compressors - Mix Buss vs tracking

Hey gang,

From the compressors I currently have, can I get opinions on best Compressor to use on my Master mix bus? Here are the different comp plugins I already have:
- Digi Dyn3 Comp (PT stock)
- BF76
- BF LA2A
- BF LA3A
- Fairchild 660
- Joe Meek SC2 Photo Optical comp

Are any of these any good? Any preferences on individual tracks versus master bus?
Would love to hear opinions !

Thanks in advance!

TDub

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 03-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Best Compressors - Mix Buss vs tracking

Of those listed, only the Fairchild, but truth be told, That would only be to add a touch of glue. Not sure exactly what your goal here is so here are some opinions to consider:
1-The Waves SSL Buss Comp does the "glue" thing very well(and sometimes Waves offers it alone on sale. Think I paid $49 for it).
2-Cytomic's The Glue is another SSL with some extras. It sounds great and is pretty cheap. Only reason I quit using it was the company can be a PITA with authorizations(I much prefer Waves on a USB stick, or iLok).
3-The stock plugins can go a long way, but there are some 3rd party things that one really needs to add. For mastering, Izotope Ozone is pretty stellar, especially for those with little mastering skills(watch some videos and you'll see what I mean)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 AM

FXpansion DCAM Freecomp is a great bus compressor and free
https://www.fxpansion.com/products/dcamfreecomp/
If you have a Focusrite you probably have Red 3 on your account. I've heard many famous mixers use it.
Another freebie by Acustica Audio, some people love their stuff, some like me can't even run them
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/tan-free
TAN and DCAM are simulations of the SSL master bus which has been the device most associated with the term glue, but since glue is a concept not a compressor basically whatever plugin that works for you should be good. I sometimes use Waves V-comp with good results, other times I don't use nothing but 9 out of 10 times the compresor sounds better

About the others, I can only give you ideas, the goal is to use what works but knowing what they are helps. Being optical the LA2A and Joemeek probably work good on vocals and other stuff that benefit from slow attack times, BF76 is one of my favorite, FETs are fast and have great character, I use it everywhere from bass to vocals to drums, etc, especially because the attack and release controls make it very versatile. The Fairchild is a Vari-Mu, it can be unpredictable but it magically works and you will see people using it everywhere not only as a compressor but as a color box if the emulation was faithful. The stock Digi Comp can be all you want, it's a good compressor with internal and external sidechain, soft and hard knee, it has a clear graphic... it does everything and for me was a great tool to learn

Last edited by amagras; 03-12-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM

First of all, thank you both for responding, I appreciate the insights.

Albee, where can I find/download/purchase either the Waves SSL or Cytomic's The Glue? Looking on the site, it seems to say that I need to have Windows 7 or above ... and PT12. I am still running XP and PT8.03. (and I can only assume that I'm still running 32 bit ...?)
This is the challenge I'm having with a lot of these plugins, is even if I can happen to find an RTAS version, it says I need to have minimum Win7. Really frustrating.

Amagras, same thing: the Aqua download says I need Win 7
Also for the DCAM, it says I need to be an FXPansion user, which I'm not I guess.

(ps: if I find plug in that says VST ... is that ok and works RTAS? I'm confused)

Any other thoughts/ideas or direction would be great. So many plugins I wish I'd bought a long time ago! LOL.

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Oh, and forgot to mention Albee: I do have Ozone 8 :)

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDub View Post
First of all, thank you both for responding, I appreciate the insights.

Albee, where can I find/download/purchase either the Waves SSL or Cytomic's The Glue? Looking on the site, it seems to say that I need to have Windows 7 or above ... and PT12. I am still running XP and PT8.03. (and I can only assume that I'm still running 32 bit ...?)
This is the challenge I'm having with a lot of these plugins, is even if I can happen to find an RTAS version, it says I need to have minimum Win7. Really frustrating.

Amagras, same thing: the Aqua download says I need Win 7
Also for the DCAM, it says I need to be an FXPansion user, which I'm not I guess.

(ps: if I find plug in that says VST ... is that ok and works RTAS? I'm confused)

Any other thoughts/ideas or direction would be great. So many plugins I wish I'd bought a long time ago! LOL.
If you find a Windows RTAS plug, it will might work in XP. I'd ask the plug company directly before purchase. VST is not going to work, only RTAS.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM

And as it turns out, I do have the Focusrite D3 as well. Not sure if that one is any good, or how it stacks up against the others I listed?
It seems I'm going to have a hard time finding RTAS plugins for my PT8 system .... So of the Comps I do have, any opinions on which ones you would use on certain instruments? And what would you use on the master mix buss?

Again, appreciate all of the opinions/advice!

Tdub

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB