Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2002, 10:00 PM

Default Re: So, did anyone have problems upgrading to OSX and running Digi 001?

Unless I have old info, I'm not aware of ANY of the major Mac DAWs (PT, Cubase, Logic, DP, Nuendo) working with OSX.

The entire midi and audio system will have to be completely re-written in each app to take advantage of the system-level midi and audio capabilities built into it. I would also wait for OS 10.5 or so - when they have all the built-in stuff Apple's been bragging about actually running on it.

Several have announced that they will be supporting it, but I don't know of any that are shipping today. DP3 is probably close as is Logic 3.0. NAMM might reveal who can actually ship the product...but do you REALLY want to be the guinea pig for what will essentially be a dot "0" version?

Has this changed? Is someone really shipping an OSX DAW now?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:22 PM

I just tested how many pro audio+midi APP works with OSX under classic env.

Basically....... I hate it.
It is too slow to open any app to begin with.
I feel it is totally unnecessary to use OSX for pro audio session.( sorry apple)

Anyway, installing OSX does not cause any problem but you won't use it for Pro audio session for a while for sure.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2002, 04:45 AM

If you are only using your mac for audio stuff, then OS X does nothing for you.

If, like me, you use your mac for everything else like web stuff, WP, art etc, then OS X is a big step ahead of OS 9.

So it's a pretty simple choice.

We are waiting for all the audio stuff to hit OS X, and when it does I won't bother booting into OS 9.

I ONLY use OS 9 for PT now. everything else I do in OS X, on the same mac G4, even on the same partition.

If you haven't actually used OS X for any period of time then you can't really have an opinion on it (can you?) But for people using it constantly, it's extremely cool.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:11 PM

PTLE won't run in classic in OS X.

So I dual boot all the time.

Since it takes all of about 1 minute to boot (especially since I can have a very lean OS 9 system), it doesn't worry me at all.

Paul.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:17 PM

I was attempting the same thing phamtec, but I am seriously disappointed with X. It's done nothing but crash, freeze, kernel panic, and otherwise caused major grief for me.

I've got the quicksilver 867, came with both OS' on a single partition - Digidesign approved and tested it for use with the 001 and PTLE. I was advised by another PT user to remove OSX - but guess what...

There's no way to remove it - short of wiping your drive and re-installing everything. Some people have posted instructions to get rid of it - drag certain files and folders to the trash!

No go on my box either - I drag the "Applications" folder (the one for OSX) to the trash, when I try to empty the trash - the computer locks up completely. I can't even do a (command - I) on that folder to calculate the folder size - again the machine locks up.

Sorry for the rant - but I'm going to remove X and wait for the developers to work on it some more!
Old 01-04-2002, 05:44 AM

A few minor corrections and experiences:

I now have a dual boot Quicksilver 867 which shipped with 9.2.2 and 10.1 and installed all my music apps which run absolutely fine on the 9.2.2 startup disk - PTLE 5.1.1, Logic 4.8.1, Recycle 2, a bunch of NI software and Toast 5. I've had no surprises, system locks, or crashes - at least nothing different from my Sawtooth G4 with OS 9.1 WHEN STARTING UP from 9.2.2 on the newer machine. I didn't remove or modify anything from the computer associated with OS 10, but I don't really use it at present either. Now, OS 10.1 does crash alot on my 333 Powerbook Lombard, but thats a different story. FWIW PT free also works fine when booting from 9.2.2 on that machine, but neither PTLE or PTF will run in classic from within 10.1. As stated above, don't try this at home.

Now for music apps. Logic 5.0 is due January 7th, and is promised to run in OS 10.1at some point thereafter - when is anybodies guess. DP 3.0.2 has just been posted, and doesn't include OS 10 compatibility and is arguably further away from OS 10 compatability, but probably alot closer than PT (just my wild speculation).

Right now - TC works and Bias have their 2 track audio editors working in OS 10, this includes a free downloadable TC works SPARK ME or something like that, and Bias' DECK will run in OS 10 - so multitrack recording is happening at present. MIDI drivers for the some currently available devices are emerging, and the thought of losing OMS for a better core MIDI engine (standardized across all software no less) seems to good to be true.

My experience with OS 10 is similar to USB - at first when it came out - everyone thought it was horrible, and advised to stay away from it for everything musical. Then at some point, quite silently, it became 'usable' both for audio and for MIDI . Firewire is moving in the same direction with the 828 and now MH boxes gaining more momentum. Make your music in 9.x.x and watch 10.x closely, at some point, it will be better.[/LIST]
Old 01-04-2002, 07:19 AM

A few thhings...

1)

You need to make sure you use the very latest OS X if you use it all. That's 10.1.2 right now.

For me it got good in 10.1, but it is definitely better in 10.1.1 and 10.1.2.

2)

I don't run classic at all. I only use apps that have been "Carbonized", or native OS X apps. When I want to run OS 9 apps (really just PTLE and Toast) i dual boot.

3)

I have never had a crash or kernel panic since 10.1. Not even a small Hang. I have a 450 DP G4.

4)

I am quite happy to wait for PTLE to be OS X native. I have already switched over from other platforms and find it so good that I would happily wait another year for it. It's just that good for me. But I WOULD like OS X native PT.

5)

My prediction is that digi will deliver usable DAW on OS X before any of the other companies, despite their promises. But remember that I don't regard logic as usable

Paul.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:06 AM

phamtec youre comments are on the money. OSX is nothig short of a spectacular leap forward for the Mac OS. We have experienced no crashed or lockups when running it, and a reboot to OS9.2.2 takes about a minute.
I suggest to those who think OSX is a step backwards, do some research, get into what it can really do on a app that is compatible, and be patient. It takes time to develop software for such a radically different OS like OSX, but Digi and all the other manufacturers are certainly aware of the need.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:23 AM

ok I read that having OS X and PT will case you to lose your PT files. Thats why your not supose to run OS X with PT.

Wiz
Old 01-05-2002, 05:36 AM

I am about to get a quicksilver 867 (after the prices come down post macworld) and will need to boot in os 9.2. How do you tell the computer which os to boot in? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]