Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2001, 01:32 AM

Default Re: What\'s Your Setup? Pics?

Thanks for the advice where02190.
I appreciate that.

Unfortunately that’s where they have to go for now, at least until I can afford some decent speaker stands or as soon as my damn cats finally die (They actually clawed out the woofers on a pair of speakers that I had about 5 years ago and I can’t trust them since that happened...) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

As you can see from the picture, I haven’t any other options cause I’ve got no more room to put anything. Since I took that picture though, I have hung up a huge thick flannel blanket to about a ten foot area on the front wall behind the speakers from floor to ceiling. Do you think that might help with those reflection problems?

I noticed that you also have the Genelec 1030’s as well. I adjusted the bass tilt switch on the back per Genelecs recommendation for wall mounting. That helps a little to.

Although I’ve only had them for about two months now, my mixes have greatly improved I think.

dk

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: dkrausz ]

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: dkrausz ]
Old 09-07-2001, 06:13 AM

Burton, I understand your inverted positioning, and I can see the tweeter is not blocked by the monitor, however, because of the proximity to the side of the monitor and the displacement of the tweeter, you are hearing reflections off the side of the (video) monitor from the tweeter, and likewise from the hard surface they are on. I'd stick with the position and put something to deaden the reflections on the sides of the (video) monitor and the desktop surface under the (audio) monitors. I think you'd hear a definite improvement.

dkrausz, now that I am aware of the cat issue, your position makes total sense. Yes I think the front wall covering is a great idea, (I covered our entire front wall with carpet) and you might consider something on the ceiling in front of them as well. If you want to get adventurous, you can (relatively on the cheap) build a pair of tube traps to mount on that wall and the ceiling which would draumatically reduce the low end build-up. (E-mail [email protected] for plans)
I love the 1030a Genelecs. However, I spend most of my time on the Yamaha NS-10's when I'm mixing. Their disgusting sound ensures that if a mix sounds good on them, it will sound incredible on anything else.
Which brings on another comment to both of you. I see only one set of montors in each of these set-ups. I cannot stress how important it is to have at least two sets of reference monitors. As noted previously, we have both the Genelec 1030A and Yamaha NS-10's, there is a KLH system (with sub) in the lounge, and a couple of boom boxes around. Making sure your mixes sound good on a variety of sources before it leaves the studio gives confidence it will transfer well and consistantly into the real world. Yes of course again this becomes a budgetary issue for some, however I feel it is a basic essential to any studio.
Best of luck to both of you, glad you appreciate my critics.
www.npstudios.com
Old 09-07-2001, 06:27 AM

Burton, your setup is so close to mine its scary!!! I have the same exact desk as you and I have Event PS6's on those same side shelves. I wanted to let you know that when I first put my PS6's on those shelves, the monitor buzzing was real bad. I have a Mitsubishi 19". I was pretty bummed, but then I tried changing the refresh rate to a higher rate (it was first at 75Hz, I then changed it to 85Hz) at the same resolution and it disappeared completely. Its worth a shot. I have the woofers on bottom and tweeters on top....opposite of yours. You may have to try different resolutions and refresh rate combinations to find one that does the trick. On my 19", I'm at 1280X1024, 85Hz and no buzzing at all. Might help you.
Old 09-07-2001, 08:57 AM

Hello again where02190,

About the two sets of monitor thing;

If you look at the pict again you’ll notice a very ugly looking speaker in the far corner of the room. Those are my main listening monitors which I have had for almost 22 years now. I built them myself when I was 16 after going to the library and getting a book on building monitors. Their very large (and heavy) sealed cabinets and built to spec with suspension 12” inch woofers, dome mids and vertically mounted horn tweeters including internal acoustic insulation and three way electronic cross overs. I’ve since changed all of the components three times (once cause of those hideous cats.. LOL) and have mounted “metal” grates over the woofers for, umm... “extra” protection. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Their uglier than hell but are really quite special to me. You’ve got to hear them to believe it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

dk
Old 09-07-2001, 09:37 AM

Ah yes, dkrausz, I do see them now. (the picture is a bit dark, and these eyes aren't what they used to be) Good for you. Now let's talk about getting them out of the corners...that bass buildup problem again...LOL!
Thanks for being a pro and taking all this in stride. Best wishes.
Nick
BTW, if you ever need to do something with those cats, my chief of security can probably think of a few ideas, like lunch?http://www.npstudios.com/staff.html
Old 09-07-2001, 10:09 AM

I'm more than willing to pay for that service. How soon can I make an appointment? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

dk
Old 09-10-2001, 08:51 AM

dkrausz, I'm sure he could squeeze you into his schedule. Feline distortion reduction is his specialty [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2001, 01:06 AM

http://reemabeets.tripod.com/
Old 09-11-2001, 08:32 AM

Reemabeets, how can you mix with the G-4's fan so in your face? I suggest moving the computer as far away as possible. (Just a friendly observation)
www.npstudios.com
Old 09-11-2001, 09:33 AM

http://www.downside.nl
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]