Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Cannot Not Open Session

Here we go again.
I cannot open a session in PT 7.4 cs5. I get a message saying
>>The document could not be opened because it was created with a NEWER version of Pro Tools.

When I try to open it with another OS 10.4.9 I get
>>The document could not be opened because it was created with a OLDER version of Pro Tools.

I have not had so many issue with PT in all the years I have used it until I went to 7.4 (from the beginning of 7.4)
Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 PM

.pts or .ptf extention

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Here we go again.
I cannot open a session in PT 7.4 cs5. I get a message saying
>>The document could not be opened because it was created with a NEWER version of Pro Tools.

When I try to open it with another OS 10.4.9 I get
>>The document could not be opened because it was created with a OLDER version of Pro Tools.

I have not had so many issue with PT in all the years I have used it until I went to 7.4 (from the beginning of 7.4)
I don't have the new version installed yet It's laying dormant on my desktop until I have time to deal with these new issues, but have you checked out trying to open session from the menu bar and seeing if it has a drop down window for picking the right "new or old" session. That's been a standard for a while, but I don't know if that's the answer.

You can work around most likely by creating a new session and doing an "import session data, and that gives you all the parameters you should need for getting your data into a new working project. Hope these help. They are just guesses from me so I hope they help.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Avid

Have you tried using Import Session Data yet?

It's likely that the session itself is corrupted - the reason you see that particular message is that the version check is one of the first things that happens. If the session is corrupted, it will come back with nonsense or garbage and Pro Tools will interpret it as being too old or too new.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Cannot Not Open Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

It's likely that the session itself is corrupted - the reason you see that particular message is that the version check is one of the first things that happens. If the session is corrupted, it will come back with nonsense or garbage and Pro Tools will interpret it as being too old or too new.
Tried importing session and it doesn't work. I am not sure on the extension, I will check when I go to work.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
.pts or .ptf extention
Craig,
It's .ptf
Won't import, won't open with either OS 10.4.9 running PT 7.4cs2 or on OS 10.4.11 running PT 7.4cs6
Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

Sounds to me like a session corruption. Did you try making a new session or does it only happen on this one that you are working on?

Also,

Go and get that application (sticky #2 on this forum at the top page) if you don't have it. It does wonders for stuff like this. Good luck
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Goldberg View Post
Sounds to me like a session corruption. Did you try making a new session or does it only happen on this one that you are working on?

Also,

Go and get that application (sticky #2 on this forum at the top page) if you don't have it. It does wonders for stuff like this. Good luck
Scott,

>>Did you try making a new session or does it only happen on this one that you are working on?

It only happens on this one

>>Go and get that application (sticky #2 on this forum at the top page) if you don't have it. It does wonders for stuff like this.

Don't understand what application you are referring to. Please explain.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM

Importing session data as a workaround would be way too easy, and, unfortunately does not help. Still searching for the answer.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

ProTools Pref & Database helper does not help in this case, unfortunately.

Happening on two diff systems. G5 Tower w/Leopard and ProTools 8.01, then on my macbook pro 10.6.1 with PT 8.01 as well as PT 8.03.

Even the same session that was created on the same computer/Mbox2 pro stopped working after going back to that same session.

Not sure where this 'corruption' is coming from. Disk first Aid says usb2 500 gig drive appears to be ok, then stops at "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required." Maybe I'll go back to firewire, which doesn't like FW800 drives much and errors out a bunch.