Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2000, 08:44 PM

Default E-Mailing music clips from SDII files

I want to send some clips of some productions I've been working on to friends over the internet. Any tips on how to make SDII files into MP3's? I'm assuming this would be the preferred format these days.? Can I send such files as E-mail attachments?

Advance Thanks,
-Jason
Old 02-24-2000, 02:19 AM

Default Re: E-Mailing music clips from SDII files

Bounce/convert to aiff, then use a mp3 encoder like Xing. http://www.xingtech.com/
For mp3 decoding and other conversions, try SoundApp. http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/
Old 02-24-2000, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Or if you have Pro Tools 5 and MP3 Export option, just bounce to whatever size/quality mp3 you want.

No problem sending MP3 files via email, other than possible file size restrictions by your internet service provider. If the file has the .mp3 extension, it can be read on either a mac or PC.

If you have a place to post on the web, you can put either an MP3 or Realaudio file on a web page. (Bounce As RealAudio supported in PT 4.2 and later)

That's how people in my band share rehearsal mp3s. Saves people that unexpected email first thing in the morning with a large attachment. If you're just sending relatively short and highly compressed MP3 files, though it shouldn't be a problem via email. But a relatively normal quality MP3 file at the 128 setting will run around 1MB per minute.

If you have REALLY large capacity on a website, and the people on the other end have a high speed connection, you can even just put SDII, AIFF or WAV files up. Supported by the QuickTime 4 plug-in on the mac. Nifty way to play SDII files on your own mac using QT drag and drop without opening Pro Tools.
SoundApp and quite a few other freeware or shareware programs will do this as well, but as far as I know QT is the only browser plug-in that plays SDII files.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing

Old 02-24-2000, 01:53 PM

I still haven't received my ProTools 5.0 Update in the mail. I was told it was free for TDM purchases after April. That reminds me, I guess I should call sales again?
Anyways, thanks for responding.
-Jason
Old 02-25-2000, 08:24 AM

Xing won't take SD2 files. I use SoundApp to convert to AIFF before Xing, if needed.

------------------

-COCO