Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Giving up on Mbox2Pro

I have an 002 and an Mbox1 with 8.0.1. On my new Lenovo W500 (2 gb DDR3, 2.8 ghz), I can flawlessly use my Mbox1 with my external Oxford 911 FW drive thru my SIIG TI PCMCIA FW card with 16 track sessions with lots of plugins (CPU =1 @ 99%). PLUS I can be surfing the web at the same time as playing and bouncing. I didn't believe it was possible but I do it all the time now. But...

I borrowed a friends Mbox2Pro to see if I wanted to upgrade. I have spent weeks trying to get the Mbox2Pro to work with the same external FW drive that the Mbox1 loves. PT starts up fine when I open a session on the FW drive. I can save the file once (see the FW drive write light) but the second save freezes things up. Same when I try to record: it starts recording and I see 4 regions getting created, but when I stop, I get "Pro Tools is unable to reacquire the hardware because it is in use by another application. Please quit other applications". I get the same message even if I just save the session a second time. I have to reboot the laptop at that point in order to close PT. The FW/power light on the Mbox2Pro stays on solid the whole time. Explorer can still see the drive if it is connected to the internal FW port. Other times the FW drive disappears to explorer and the yellow exclaimation mark pops up in the device manager.

I have the Mbox2Pro connected to the SIIG TI FW PCMCIA card. I tried coonecting the external FW drive to 1) the second 4 pin FW port on the SIIG card where the Mbox1 loves it, 2) the internal FW connector on the FRONT of the laptop (a very stupid location for it as thats where my arm rests), 3) the 2nd FW port on the Mbox2Pro (like I do with my 002) and 4) the SIIG card then connect the Mbox2Pro to the drive (not the recommended method). Config 2) is the only one where windows does not lose the drive letter connection. Its like the FW of the Mbox2Pro "brings down" the FW connection of the drive. On my 002, I go from this SIIG FW card to the 002 FW to the drive FW. (I have not tried the 002 with this laptop yet.)

After I get the "Pro Tools is unable to reacquire..." message , if I select Quit, I get error -6006. In my attempts I have also seen -9060 errors. I am giving up on the idea of owning a Mbox2Pro. I will stick to my Mbox1 as long as it is supported. I started with an 001 and went thru hell for a year with that until I got a non-freezing config.

Without all the Sandra stuff, can anyone point me to something new to try? I have one last thing to try: deleting all the Prefs. I deleted all the Databases but not the Prefs yet. Maybe that is the first thing I shoudl have done. If it works, and I see no reason it should, I will be very surprised. I just want to track 4 inputs into PT on location recordings. I guess I will go back to my RME interface and fly the audio files into PT later for mixing.

Blessings and thanks in advance. Rob in Va Beach

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Giving up on Mbox2Pro

Sounds odd to me. At the least, I would try a new firewire cable on the Mbox2 Pro. These cables fail(especially the ones from Digi) for no apparent reason. BTW, love the signature

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Ok, I had the same problem before.

Check device manager to see the manufacturer of the 1394 driver on the Siig Firewire card.

I also have a Siig Cardbus firewire card. It would not work unless I uninstalled the Unibrain driver and reverted back to the Default Microsoft driver.

Also, I replaced my firewire cable.

Try those two things.

To do it, go to ControlPanel/AddRemovePrograms and uninstall anything that is called Unibrain or ubCore.

Basically you want the Unibrain driver and driver switch uninstalled.

Then the Mbox 2 Pro should probably connect to the onboard firewire and the hard drive can connect to the Cardbus card.
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks for your 10 replies guys! I will try these tonight! I will also trash the prefs and databases... This IS the greatest forum on the net!!!

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Smile Re: Giving up on Mbox2Pro

Well what do you know! Using the internal firewire on the Lenovo for the Mbox2Pro and the SIIG FW PCMCIA card for the FW Oxford 911 hard drive did the trick!!! I didn't even trash the databases or prefs either! I have my wireless up and am browsing while recording 4 tracks at 1024 samples. I actually have it recording 4 tracks in the background as I type this.

I would never expected the non-TI internal (Ricoh I think) FW to be usable so I did not even try it. When I use the internal FW for the harddrive and the PCMCIA RME Digiface FW card to record with the RME the internal FW creates lots of noise in the play back (PT is still recording now in the background pretty as you please!) off the RME interface. I bought an ExpressCard SIIG FW card to take care of that. With the Lenovo W500 (& T500 I think) I can use both the PCMCIA AND ExpressCard slots at the same time. Very nice Lenovo! Since the RME card and cable is totally flat, the big ExpressCard FW ports can stick out all they want.

But back to PT, looks like I will have to buy a Mbox2Pro after all!! It is great for recording local bands in small clubs/restaurants using a M/S, 1 Vox, 1 Bass configuration. I use a separate 2 channel (still recording in background) mic pre for inputs 3 & 4 (still recording). It will make small location/guerilla recordings more fun to be in PT. So I am still recording 4 tracks with a dozen 0 latency RTAS plugings and surfing (and BitTorrenting!!) all at the same time. I am sold.

Thanks guys for jogging my brain to try something that I thought was "verboten" -- Mbox2Pro FW into the internal FW -- who would have thunk it??? Thanks again!!!! For those thinking of a Lenovo W500 purchase, they rock! My son at the local computer repair shop (Providence Computer in Chesapeake VA plug plug) said Lenovo's were the least seen laptops in for repair. Everyone in the shop drooled over this one when I had it in (still recording). I bought direct from Lenovo but it took a month to get my custom build. PLUS, like the first cars with cup holders, the Lenovo has a "gotta have it" feature of a light over the keyboard you can turn on when working in the dark!!! Nice touch!!! I could not imagine working by LCD light alone again! I love it! They really thought through how laptops are used.

PS Still recording... Now to try this at 512 and 256 and 128. Then turn off all wireless and everything to see about 64 sample 4 track recording.

PSS here is my bat file to shut all my unneeded services down:

net stop spooler
net stop stisvc
net stop WZCSVC
net stop lanmanworkstation
net stop lanmanserver
net stop netman
net stop nla
net stop dhcp
net stop browser
net stop cryptsvc
net stop rasman
net stop samsss
net stop ShellHWDetection
net stop SSDPSRV
net stop tapiSrv
net stop themes
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop HTTPFilter
net stop stisvc
net stop audiosrv
net stop termservice
net stop lmhosts
net stop srservice
net stop dnscache
net stop tpkmpsvc
rem pause

PSSS Still recording without interuption from before I started this reply. I SO HAPPY!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 AM

Well I spoke too soon. I have no sound coming out of my headphone outputs now. This is a common problem with the mbox2 pro apparently and I have found nothing here that fixes this. I have reinstalled drivers, change fw cables, removed use of the fw external drive, all to no avail. PT 8.0.1 loads and "plays" fine but there is no audio output from the mbox2 pro headphone jacks. How can this be? Plus it is not consistent. Just 30 minutes ago I booted the m2p for the first time of the day and I was listening to my session on the headphones for a couple miniutes and midway thru a tune, the headphones just shut off while PT kept playing. Can this be a "trash the prefs" issue? Am going to try it but I doubt it will work.

I was '' this close to buying an mbox2 pro for myself, this is a borrowed m2p, but now (and again) I am back to crossing this unit off my list. I just wanted 4 inputs into PT. My old mbox1 works fantastic on this machine. Any ideas on why headphones are silent on sessions that otherwise look and play fine?

PT has the strangest hardware issues!!! Those Lexicon Omega and M-Audio Fast Track Ultra boxes are starting to look pretty nice right about now...

Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Some possible reasons for no headphone audio:

1: Session settings such as volume automation or bus routing. Try a different session.

2: I/O settings not set to default routings. Set defaults on all 4 tabs of the I/O dialog box in the settings menu.

3: Pro Tools actually outputting through the original MBox earphones. Unplug second Digi interface.

4: Another software trying to use the interface as it's sound card too. Set system audio to a different sound card and DO NOT have Avid's stand alone driver installed.

5: Headphone volume knob and button not set right. Turn up volume knob on both headphones and try toggling the 1/2,3/4 button if using the second earphone jack.

6: Too many custom settings. Reinstall operating system and Pro Tools with default settings. (This is a good idea anyway. Don't be sentimental about your operating system installation)

7: Headphone does not work. Try it in a stereo.

7: Low Latency Monitoring mode or Input Monitoring mode set wrong. Try toggling both.

8: Headphone jack is burned in that particular piece of equipment. Try the line outputs from analog 1/2.

9: Session not actually outputting signal out of analog 1/2. Make stereo master fader track on Analog 1/2 to check volume meter for signal.

I am not convinced that you are having hardware issues. You'll get it to work.
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=rlcowastudio;1484715]Well I spoke too soon. I have no sound coming out of my headphone outputs now. This is a common problem with the mbox2 pro apparently and I have found nothing here that fixes this. QUOTE]

Don't be too quick to blame the MBox2Pro. I've never had a problem with mine and would recommend it in a heartbeat. I'm not aware of any common problems with it, maybe I'm just lucky, but give it a chance, I think it's a fantastic piece of kit. I would be suspicious of my computer hardware/software first, every time, if I had a problem. Hope it works out.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM

I have not had time to recheck this. The strange thing was I was playing a session for a few minutes on the m2p and all of a sudden, in the middle of playing the session, the headphones cut out and the Analog 1-2 outputs still had tons of signal going to them. Will try tomorrow. I plugged in my old mbox and was off and running in seconds -- with headphones. Thanks!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Turns out that if I use my old trusty SIIG PCMCIA card for a FW drive AND the internal RICOH FW port for the Mbox2Pro, I get no M2P headphone sound after a few seconds. Using just the internal 4 pin Ricoh FW port on my Lenovo W500 works fine with the M2P - headphone sound and all. I tried the SIIG PCMCIA FW card for the M2p and lost headphone sound again. It may be the drivers used for the PCMCIA cardslot by XP Pro SP3 on this machine that cause problems.

I also added a 320GB drive in the laptop bay as my second drive for audio -- avoiding us of any external FW audio recording drives. So the PCMCIA card that worked for me on older Dell laptops with my 002 does not work with my Lenovo with the M2P. I am going to try my new SIIG ExpressCard FW card next. The internal FW connector is in the front of the laptop where my left hand rests so I got a new FW cable with a "left handed" 4 pin end. This lovely cable keeps my arm away from the FW connection (mostly). I love having an internal second laptop drive for audio. No more external drives on a gig (except maybe for backups).

Case (apparently) closed. Of course the first gig I use this rig on (tomorrow night) may prove all this wrong and I am back to my RME 16 channel config. FYI